1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

So I bought some cacti and succulent seeds. Any tips?

Discussion in 'Tropical Gardening' started by Selleri, May 29, 2018.

1. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +7,634
    I impulse bought a new hobby but am a bit unsure on how to get the best results from the seeds. I grow a few cacti and succulents as house plants with nice success, and have a monster of a dragon fruit grown from seeds, but otherwise it has been zillions of years since I grew them from seeds.

Would a shallow sowing tray with holes be ok to germinate them? Or small pots? Normal compost with plenty of sand in it? Should I try to sow the seeds on their own or mix with sand first (I remember they are tiny)

I don't really have a good place to give them a cool, bright winter holiday but my Christmas cactus seems to thrive and flower nearly through the year by a window far away from radiators so that might be the place. Has anyone tried young plants in a frost free garage by the window or similar? Or in a cold frame?

This is what I bought :)

Product Name Stock Code Quantity Price
    Cactus, Flowering Mixed Species 230G 1 £ 3.38
    Lithops, National Collection, Mixed Species 817B 1 £ 3.75
    Cactu s Chiltern Seeds, Quick Growing Tall Mixture 230N 1 £ 3.35
    Sub Total: 3 Items
    £ 10.48

Thanks and sorry for all the questions!