so slow to start- what to do?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Moopants, May 8, 2012.

1. Moopants

Moopants Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    With the weather being so bad this spring, all my veggies are well behind where they should be. There's been no warmth and now I'm thinking there's little hope as the Scottish growing season for the things I like is so short. (Our summer ended that one week in march)

Does anyone have any advice on ensuring some kind crops show up? Chilis, peppers, tomatoes etc still at very baby stage if showing at all and doubt we'll get the weather this year to improve on them. Leeks and spring onions doing well and potatoes were doing well but have all got frostbite :(

Garlic however is loving it! Is this season a lost cause? Can I do anything to help them along?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Greenhouse for them ...

Cloche tunnel for the normal outdoor fellas

That's my only thought: cheat and give them some extra protection.

3. blacksmith

blacksmith Gardener

Ratings:
    +147
    I agree with Kristen, I have put polythene over my raised beds this year and crops are over 4 weeks ahead, it is simply amazing what a thin film of plastic can acheive. For anybody with a short season it is a must have.

4. Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    As above:dbgrtmb:....just keep them protected ,it's early days,i'm sure they'll catch up:dbgrtmb:

5. mike99

mike99 Gardener

engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Its not too good 'down south' either, Moo. Four buckets..stuck indoors on the freezer. 'Good job the wife is strong..she needs to get to that trunk freezer almost daily to do the teatime meal...

6. mike99

mike99 Gardener

engineer
    Ratings:
    +9
    Got the pic to appear this time!

Attached Files:

7. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,925
    They look OK to me, once the weather picks up they will soon put on some growth.

In the meantime use horticultural fleece over the intended planting beds to warm up the soil. Once planted out cover with fleece to give them a little protection to begin with.

• Like Like x 1