so smug

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by lapod, Nov 4, 2007.

1. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a spot in the garden which gathers water. I dug down to see if it was coming up like a spring but it seems not. However the hole is always half full of water.

It is in the middle of a pathway between raised beds and as it is localised and doesn't move I wondered if I could contain it.

It doesnt bother me about jumping over it. Thats not the problem. If it is there because of a stone way down there is nothing I can do because of the raised beds that are now established

At one time I read that land drains were made of unglazed and glazed pottery so that they pulled water in which then flowed away. Dopes anyone know of a way I can contain this water so it doesn't seep to anywhere or am I looking at it all the wrong way?

It isnt the hugest problem in the world I would just like it to be useful rather than a muddy mess.

thansk all

2. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,015
    Hi Lapod

A very simple land drain is to cut a channel in whichever direction you want. Then to line it with weed suppressant fabric and fill it with gravel. fold the fabric over the top, and then cover it with what ever you want, either more gravel, or wood chips or even earth and grass turves. The gravel creates a pathway for the water to run away, whilst the fabric acts like a coarse version of the unglazed pottery pipe. It allows the water to pass through but prevents earth falling into and clogging the drainage channel. Or you could drill a lot of small holes in a piece of drainpipe and bury it. You can make a soakaway with a large hole lined with fabric and filled with gravel.

3. lapod

lapod Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Wow thanks thats a great idea and easy to do too,
    I am really glad that I have a simple answer. Especially as the wet area is at the top of a hill.