Sodium Chlorate banned???

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by steve75, May 18, 2009.

1. steve75

steve75 Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I noticed a mention in the paper over the weekend, that Sodium Chlorate weed killer had been banned as from the 10th of this month. If this is true how come they have loads on sale in pound land. i understand that the ban was because of some EU legislation to do with increased fire risk when using it, but on looking into this i have read an article on Sodium Chlorate in explosives stating that Sodium Chlorate on sale in the UK has fire suppressants added.

2. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Probably just the non supressed oxidissing stuff that used to be available for profeshionall use. I always thought sodium clorate was overated and havent used any since they added fire suppresants to it.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "I always thought sodium clorate was overated"

I think its a rubbish choice for a permanent weed killer :)

4. mchumph

mchumph Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    True: but for the pyrotechnically minded, it's a fabulous oxidising agent and crucial constituent of "atomic bog-roll" !

5. Hex

Hex Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ..and it burns underwater :wink:

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Err! It's not used as a permanent weedkiller. :scratch: It's the cheapest solution to use for large, gravelled area. Use it twice a year and your problems are solved.:) Oh! the fun we had with that and other easily obtained substances, when we were kids.:D

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "It's not used as a permanent weedkiller"

Sorry, I didn't mean "forever" :) [now that WOULD be good!!] I meant "It isn't neutralised on contact with soil, and therefore has residual effect" - as you say, 6-12 months.

"Use it twice a year and your problems are solved"

Risk of it moving sideways through the soil into adjacent beds / lawns, or runoff into the drains causing problems. Highly toxic too :(

8. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    I take your point Kristen.:wink: It has its uses but you have to be careful with it.:) Unless you're using it for pyrotechnics, then it doesn't go into the ground:hehe:

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Lol Caj, Ive blown up a few things with it and S*, my old man showed me as a kid.

Black powder is better though, Ive even split logs with it (one of my customers can get hold of it as he does reinactments with muskets etc) the art is guessing the amount of powder and getting it compact etc plus doing the electric fuse.

10. Dave W

Dave W Total Gardener

Anything I fancy and can afford!
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Just bought some today from the local pound shop. (for weed killing not rockets)
    The modern stuff is no good for mixing with ..... to make explosives like I used to do as a kid. We got it down to a fine art using strands from a brillo pad and a motor cycle battery and long cable for remote detonation. Made some super rockets!!
    All in the interests of scientific research :D