Sodium chlorate idiocy

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by geraldthehamster, May 18, 2010.

1. geraldthehamster

geraldthehamster Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Having cut down an unruly and unwanted pampas grass to a stump" about two feet high and at least that across, I thought it a good idea to pour half a watering can of sodium chlorate solution onto it.

Two of the various bushes growing with a couple of feet of it have now died. I put this at first down to the late frosts, but I think in fact I've just been incredubly stupid, in not realising that the weedkiller would penetrate through the pampas stump and into the soil, affecting any roots it encountered. At least, that's what I think has happened; what does the panel think?

I said I was a novice.

I should add that I did this last month, before the use of sodium cholrate became illegal (which it did on 10th May, as I understand it) ...

Cheers
    Richard

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Richard

Half a watering can = about 5 litres and I would have expected the root ball of a big pampas grass to have absorbed most of that. So I'm just a wee bit doubtful that the sodium chlorate could cause so much collateral damage to other, well established shrubs.

But, you're right - it could be the cause and so I think your best option is to search on line for information about how long sodium chlorate remains effective in the soil. Then you'll need to wait before replanting and for good measure, I would add as much new soil and compost as possible to the affected area.

3. geraldthehamster

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks - I'd already done that, and the answers seem to vary from 6 months, to significantly longer. I don't have any immediate need to plant anything there. Possibly you're right though, and it was the frost. There are certainly other growing things equally as close, that don't seem to have been affected, including a young Japanese Maple that I didn't even know I had, until I cut the pampas down.

Cheers
    Richard

4. amanita

amanita Gardener

semi retired
    Ratings:
    +14
    to get rid of your pampas stump which will sprout again, use amonium sulphate into holes drilled in the top, then plug with plastercine

5. geraldthehamster

Ratings:
    +2
    I'll have to try something, as it survived the sodium chlorate:cnfs:

Cheers
    Richard

6. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I used glyphosate on mine when I wanted rid of it. I cut it right down and sprayed down the wee holes.

7. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Why not just dig it out? :scratch:

I've transplanted a couple of pampas grass with 5ft diameters (30+ years ago) and nothing ever sprouted in the old sites. The pampas are growing well in their current sites.

It took a lot of work as the rootballs are quite big but it would solve your problem in one go.

With regard to the dead shrubs - try planting something like runner beans in that soil. They grow quickly and should put roots down quick enough to see whether the soil has been poisoned. Result: dead beans - soil poisoned; live beans - yummy veg :gnthb:, and shrubs died because of the winter.

8. geraldthehamster

Ratings:
    +2
    I dug one out once before. That's why I was trying an alternative solution this time :wink:

9. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,463
    Getting to know someone with a mini-digger would be another good solution :hehe:. Worth a few drinks :gnthb:

10. geraldthehamster

Ratings:
    +2
    Yes. My neighbour has been on a course, but has no digger ;-) I do have a considerable amount of landscaping that needs to be done, out the front.

If I hired one myself I'd probably end up careering out into the road on it, and get mown down by a tractor. Actually I do know someone who knows someone with a tractor, though I'm sort of keeping him in reserve for the Leylandii ... and he'll want paying.

Cheers
    Richard