soil advice for heathers

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by woody, May 30, 2011.

1. woody

woody Gardener

Ratings:
    +4
    hi im thinking of filling my planter with heathers ,
    at the minute it just has pure grey colouerd topsoil ,so was wondering what would be best to add
    should i mix ericaous compost with the soil or just dig a bigger hole then the pot when planting
    also is the anything i can cover it with to help the heathers after wards (mulch etc ) cheers j

2. Spruce

Spruce Glad to be back .....

Ratings:
    +12,352
    Hi Woody
    I would test the PH of the soil first as you are aware of they like acid soils mixing the compost would work as well I would bark the soil once all planted up as the bark will help acidify (wrong spelling?):loll:
    pop the empty pots back over the plants before you bark once finished take the pots off the plants and it will look so much better than bark stuck in between the plant , if you get my drift
    I always plant heathers slightly deeper than they were growing in the pot as the will send up more new new shoots doing it that way

Hope this helps

Spruce

• Like Like x 1
    • woody

woody Gardener

Ratings:
      +4
      hi mate thanks for that but may be taking a different route as the climber i have wouldn't like the same soil as the heather
      cheers j