Soil depth for wildflower planting

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Philip Hughes, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi,

I will be planting a small wildflower bed in spring, but I am concerned that my soil is not deep enough. I recently had my driveway block paved and as part of this process, there was a lot of stone and rock compacted together, to provide a solid foundation. This was done all over, including the space where the bed has been put in. Therefore, the soil is only about 20cm deep. Will wildflower seeds flourish here? Will their roots be able to penetrate through the compacted rock to the soil below? Or am I wasting my time planting wildflower seeds in this area?!

Phil.

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,923
    20cm = 7.8 inches I believe. Sorry I still work in imperial. :) I don't see why they wouldn't grow, grass will grow in an area 4 inches deep. The only problem being, the area would have to be well watered during the summer months. You could raise the height of the bed above ground level to give the plants a better chance.

3. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    You'd be surprised at what can grow in 20cm of soil. I've got gravel areas on top of barely any soil and wild flowers self seed and germinate in that although they usually get pulled out as I don't want anything growing there.

• Like Like x 1
    • Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
      +9
      That's great to know, thanks! I'd read that wildflower roots can grow several feet deep and I didn't know whether they can still function happily without the space to do this!

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Where I used to live in Wales there was a Rowan Tree growing on top of a Telegraph pole. The only soil up there was wind blown slate dust and bird droppings :)