solanum alba climber help??

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by AdamE, Mar 21, 2010.

1. AdamE

AdamE Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I planted a solanum alba last last late spring which grew really quickly and flowered.

During the winter months it looks dead, do you have to trim it back to the roots, or will it revive from where it left off?

Any help appreciated.
    Thanks.

2. Lovage

Lovage Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Solanum jasminoides album is not as hardy as the blue flowered S. crispum
    Mine has been badly hit by the frost whilst the S. crispum Glasnevin just lost a few more leaves than usual but otherwise looks healthy.

I'm sure all the top growth will be dead, in an exposed position the roots could be dead also. Best to cut back to ground level now and keep checking for new shoots

3. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    Adam - I am sorry to hear about your Solanum alba. Living in North Yorkshire I am always wary of how hardy plants are - even when if they are said to be fully hardy.

Lovage - glad to see that you are growing some Solanum. Having not grown any before I would start off by assuming them not hardy. So I am pleased to see tha S. crispum Glasnevin should be OK here. I am currently growing S. laciniatum and S. sisymbriifolium - any experience of them?

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :scratch: I too am very despondant of mine at the moment, It was planted in early spring last year into a huge tub & did well, despite being in a very sheltered spot & by the house wall mine has suffered really badly.. I have cut mine back to the first branches after it first splits off from the main stem... :flag:I am hoping the roots are OK & I will get new growth signs soon, but to be honest not sure at this time... :skp:

5. AdamE

Ratings:
    +2
    Thanks very much for the info guys much appreciated. :wink:
    Lovage - I should think i'll do what you said and cut it down to ground level and hopefully see some life back.
    Marley Farley - Hope you get yours sorted too.

I guess with the bad winter we've had it's to be expected.

6. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,127
    :doh: Sadly Adam I think allot of us have had the odd casualty this winter as it has been long & cold for us all...
    :flag: I am hoping mine will come back, as I do yours Adam.. We must compare later in the year ..!! :wink::thmb:

7. AdamE

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you, yes i'll let you know how it gets on.