Solar powered garden lights

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by notgreenfingered, May 30, 2011.

1. notgreenfingered

notgreenfingered Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

We are wanting to get some solar powered lights to dot around our border. We do need them to light a path or anything like that and are not wanting to spend a fortune on them either.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi NGF,

There are loads of wierd and wonderfull ones about now, glowing coloured balls etc.

I usually wait till summers over, a lot of the shops reduce them to clear then.

Think I got about 5 for a £ a few years back, the rechargeable batteries in them would cost more than that alone.

3. Selleri

Selleri Koala

Ratings:
    +8,039
    Hi,
    I bought some cheapie ones just to try how they work. They are rather small, stick- like so also the actual panel on the top is small. Therefore they are more like decorative fairy lights, not giving much illumination. But I have to admit, they are pretty and considering I just popped them into pots 2 years ago and they have lighted up every night, winter and summer without any extra cost or trouble, worth the money! (£0.99 each... [​IMG] )

The amount of actual illumination depends largely on the size and position of the panel, there are models where you can recharge the panel in a sunny spot and plug it in when light is needed.

4. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    Hi NGF. Ten Pastel-Coloured Garden Lights each light contains batteries that stores the energy from the sun. Cost £22.75 from Q.V.C UK. These are good quality lighting.:thumbsup:.
    Personally i have various sorts in my garden,last count @36 lights, not counting the strings round the arches. Just waiting for a plane to land:D.
    Nice on a Nice summers evening sitting drinking a few SHERBETS with all the lights on:dancy:.

5. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    A bit off topic but this is part of my solar powered back up system

[​IMG]

An 18 watt panel feeds 2 12volt leisure batteries. When the power goes off, as it will as the U.K.s antiquated power stations are decomissioned, we can light the living rooms and bedrooms.

There is also a 12 volt socket with an adaptor for the laptop, although with no mains there will be no wi fi, but there are plenty of DVDs.

The Kitchen has a battery light that comes on if mains power fails, so we don't suddenly find ourselves cooking in the dark.

• Like Like x 1