Some advice from photos of these poplar stumps please

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Martin Holst, Sep 30, 2012.

1. Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    These trees (four photos attached) were felled 2 days ago. Species is hybrid black poplar, Populus canadensis I think. There is evidence of hornet moth (Sesia apiformis) exit holes in the stumps. Location is Suffolk, England. When they were standing, there was minimal evidence of crown dieback and no fungal fruiting bodies. I am told they were felled for safety reasons but have not been given a proper diagnosis.

Firstly, I know it is tricky just from photographs, but do these trees look like they were about to fail? What kind of rot/colour stain can you expect in poplar wood? Whilst the centre was crumbly in the fourth stump, there was also a lot of sound sapwood.

Secondly, does an attack by Sesia apiformis automatically ring the death knell for the poplar tree? The only research I can find is Arundell and Straw 2001 which seems to suggest not.

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,793
    I'm not at all an expert in this (we have members who are) but do have poplars. I would guess that the decision of whether to fell them or not is based, not only on condition but also on where they are sited.

The one that shows what I would guess is some disease and seems to be splitting the tree could, probably, have had the smaller side removed. If the remaining part was stable it may have been possible to save it - but, of course, this may have been very expensive to do.

Fifteen years ago, one of my poplars split and dropped a 40ft section of tree across my neighbours garden. We had that part removed, all the trees reduced by 15ft (reducing stress and movement) and some more tidying done on that tree. The inside, where it split, was rotten and is now very exposed but the tree is standing and growing well.

As poplars grow very tall compared to their girth I would guess that the stress upon the bole of the tree is much greater. So there can be safety concerns if near buildings or where people walk.

• Like Like x 2
    • Martin Holst

Martin Holst Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +0
      Thanks. The trees were felled in our local park by a tree officer who is getting a reputation for being a bit trigger-happy with chainsaws. They were a wonderful complement to the park, people used to ask in the park shop what all the fluff was each spring! They were within falling distance of park-users and if they were genuinely dangerous then I would have no objection. I am, however, getting very frustrated by what I see as unnecessary felling 'just in case'. I suppose we have ambulance-chasing lawyers to thank for that! If anyone knows any more about hornet moth, specifically its effect on a tree's structural integrity, I would love to know.

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I think, dispassionately, that its better they plant something else. Those Poplars that grow at grease-lightning (I know its not the ones bred for Coppicing, but it is one of the parents of the coppicing hybrids IIRC) are a risk - dropping boughs and trunks not able to carry the crown if some rot and high winds.

Having said that the stumps don't look very "fat"; crown-reduction / pollarding might have been possible.

Personally I think better to plant something else in a public place. Its a pity to lose a mature tree, but I think folk need to not get to het up about it - provided that there is an active policy of management, including replanting etc., and including decent thought going in to what would actually be best for the long term.

• silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
      +8,083
      While I too don't like to see healthy trees felled perhaps more suitable replacements will be planted. The trees weren't very big from the look of the stumps anyway. We had HUGE Poplars felled by Scottish Power as they were growing towards main power lines. They were at least 40 ft high and had girths of at least 10 ft. The aboriest (spelling iffy!) who oversaw the huge task of felling the trees reckoned the trees were only only about 50 years old so they do grow like stink and he advised that Poplar does have a nasty habit of dropping large branches with little or no notice. Scottish Power wanted to "pollard" ie butcher the trees (much easier/cheaper than felling) but they'd have looked hellish so I turned down that suggestion. Unless the stumps have been treated you might well see them regrow...ours did despite the stumps being ground out half heartedly. It took 6 applications of very strong Roundup to eventually polish them off. Replanted lovely Sorbus and don't miss the monsters for 1 minute. I'd have to agree the stumps of the Poplar look pretty sound to me, let's hope some lovely Oak or similar will be planted instead. Poplar isn't even any good for burning, I can testify to this!

• Jim Macdonald

Jim Macdonald Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
      +7
      Yeah Ambulance chasers are the ones to blame. Sadly.