Some consumer advice please?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Jungle Jane, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Jungle Jane

Jungle Jane Middle Class Twit Of The Year 2005

Local Nutcase
    Ratings:
    +3,225
    OK so I just bought the other half his birthday present which is an all attraction annual ticket to Portsmouth historic dockyard. I paid for this on their website with my card and was emailed his ticket only to find they have printed my name on it as I paid for it. I assumed there would have asked for who it was for etc but didn't and the payment went through before I realised.

It also says on their site that they will check for ID and that if the ticket doesn't match they will be refused entry.

OK so I assumed I could email them and get it changed but then find this on the bottom of the ticket. "Tickets cannot be refunded or exchanged". I can't seem to find an email address to contact them and only a telephone number.

So I was wondering if any of the consumer savvy members out there could tell me what rights I have before I call them tomorrow. There seems to be a lot of rights if you purchase goods online but I can't see to find any with tickets.

2. Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
    At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
    Ratings:
    +51,881
    Not sure if the distance selling regs would apply in the case of tickets, however I would say not to panic just yet - give them a ring tomorrow and explain, and they will most likely sort it all out for you; we went there a few years back, and were very impressed - staff were very helpful too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
      Ratings:
      +3,225
      That's great to hear. I shot an email off to them a few minutes after I realised there was a problem. Thought it might help someone else out if my problem is hopefully resolved...

I'm trying not to panic over it but his birthday is in less than a week lol....

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,957
      That's a lovely pressie JJ, there is so much to see and do there, he will be hard pressed to get around everything in a day so an Annual Ticket is a great idea. Plus, if it's a clear day, get him to go up the Spinaker tower which is in Gunwarf Quays next door to the Historic Dockyard. Also in Gunwarf Quays are loads of good eateries and if you go along as well loads of outlet stores if shopping is your thing.

Sorry can't answer your consumer question though.

• shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
      Ratings:
      +122,429
      The Distance Selling Regulations no longer apply and were superseded, by the Consumer Contracts Regulations :doh:

Event tickets are one of the few items not covered but I would be inclined to argue that this is not an 'Event' as it's not a 'one off' but a regular attraction. I'm no longer involved directly with consumer advice so am not sure of the minor details of the new law.

Try phoning and explaining but go back onto the website to see whether it asks for the name that should be on the ticket. If it doesn't, then they should sort it out with no problem. If it does, you need to talk to them nicely but I think you may be covered under the CCR.

Also, if it does, they may be quite happy to sort things out for you for a small fee - which may be low enough not to be worth arguing.

http://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights/regulation/consumer-contracts-regulations

As an annual ticket I think he would be covered by the law.

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Jungle Jane

Local Nutcase
        Ratings:
        +3,225
        Ok, so I just got off the phone from them and they said that as long as he lives at the same address as me and that's on his ID then he can get in ok. The chap said that they get this question a lot and said that it's fine.

The other half loves his ships so I'm hoping that he will enjoy it. I didn't really know what else to get him and so have bought him lots of tickets for days out. Got him booked onto a tour around the whitechapel bell foundary too, the golden hinde and a tour inside the cockpit of an avro vulcan for xmas.

• Like Like x 1
        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
          Ratings:
          +122,429
          Has he been to Duxford air shows or the Imperial War Museum there?