Some wild flower advice

Discussion in 'Herbs and Wildflowers' started by Paul Blackburn, May 27, 2017.

1. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    Down at the bottom of our back garden my wife has left a area to grow wild to attract wildlife.She would like to put some flowers down there but not sure what to get.We cannot sow seed's as the grass is quite long so we need some smallish flowers we can plant there which will flower every year as we do not want to keep on planting every year.Can anyone suggest some varieties with different colours.Thank's in anticipation

2. Mark56

Mark56 Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +957
    Borage is a quick growing annual that you can start in doors, it's actually a herb but the bees go mad for the flowers of blue. Phacelia tanacetifolia is similar & will set seed for next years to continue the cycle. They are my favourites for pollinators :)

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    Sow them in pots, cell trays, etc., and plant out in spring or autumn.

4. Paul Blackburn

Paul Blackburn Gardener

Ratings:
    +52
    So if can the seeds now and sow them one to pot or cell when would we be able to plant oue seeing as it is almost June now.Have you any ideas what seeds to get,The grassed area is about 8 or 9 inches tall and the flowers would need to be seen above the grass otherwise not worth planting them

5. Mowerman

Mowerman Gardener

Ratings:
    +599
    You need a perennial seed mix so that you don't have to replant every year, although many annuals will self-seed though. There are a lot of mixes out there and some are created specifically to attract bees and butterflies, others for a more aesthetic appearance.

There are so many types to choose from, you are the best person to decide what you want. All of them contain wildflowers that are probably best separated from borders or lawns if low-maintenance of your garden is a key factor :spinning:

Sowing them as @Scrungee and @Paul Blackburn suggested is a great idea :dbgrtmb::dbgrtmb:

6. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,996
    I undertook a wildflower planting scheme in our village nearly 20 years ago, and all the species have now become established in a wider area. Rather than single seeds, I sowed a small pinch. Plants from spring sown perrenial seeds should be big enough to plant out amongst grass in autumn, and late summer sown seeds ready to plant out in spring.

The best ones to sow should be those which grow naturaĺly in your location/soil type. There's a vast amount available, I bought from Wild Flowers | Species | Emorsgate Seeds – (01553) 829 028

Strim the grass before planting and if you want them to self seed, delay strimming/mowing until their seeds are ripe. Forget about having a short lawnand choose tall flowers.

Last edited: May 28, 2017