something eating my bedding plants

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by arwyn, May 5, 2005.

1. arwyn

arwyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    ive potted on my bedding petunias in the greenhouse,and 25 percent have been eaten,help

2. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Look for slime slug trails. Lift up your pots and look around the rims to see it any are hiding.
    Check late at night with a torch or leave a beer trap. I have not tried the beer traps but you read about it in most garden mags.Another place they seem to hide is the matal frame in the grooves.My greenhouse is fairly free from them as I ckeck regulary and throw them out.(Have you seen slugs and snails fly?) I throw them over my hedge (no not into any neigbours gardens) just a playing field at the back.
    A smeer of vasiline around the pot rims will also protect any special plants. Hope this helps.

3. slugbug

slugbug Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,
    Look for slime slug trails. Lift up your pots and look around the rims to see it any are hiding.
    Check late at night with a torch or leave a beer trap. I have not tried the beer traps but you read about it in most garden mags.Another place they seem to hide is the metal frame in the grooves.My greenhouse is fairly free from them as I ckeck regulary and throw them out.(Have you seen slugs and snails fly?) I throw them over my hedge (no not into any neigbours gardens) just a playing field at the back.
    A smeer of vasiline around the pot rims will also protect any special plants. Hope this helps.

4. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Arwyn, check out the link for mollusc controls
    http://www.gardenerscorner.co.uk/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000345;p=1#000005
    I have tried vaseline but my slugs & snails just laughed at me & carried on! + did you know that snails have a homing instinct & can travel several hundred metres to get back (sounds batty, but is true I'm afraid)! Safer to drown them or squish them (or even bag them up tightly & put them in the wheelie bin)! try this link too http://www.organiccatalog.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=61_179

[ May 06, 2005, 01:06 PM: Message edited by: Bayleaf ]

5. revin helen

revin helen Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    A smeer of vaseline around the snail will also make them more aerodynamic when you throw them.

6. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    LOL I will try it! (as long as it helps their shells to crack on landing)