Something likes our Pak Choi even more than we do.

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by M_Anthony, Aug 26, 2014.

1. M_Anthony

M_Anthony Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    My wife and I are keen but not very knowledgeable gardeners. We had great fun building our first raised bed and planting some veg in it. It soon got very popular with the other garden inhabitants too, particularly the Cabbage White butterflies and Woodlice.

We then rushed to build a cage over the bed and netted it but I don't think we were quick enough with that.

Anyway, the Pak Choi and Radishes seemed to be growing happily. They certainly looked healthy for a while. Unfortunately, when we got in there to weed and thin things out a bit this morning we found masses of cream coloured egg like clusters covering many of the plants, soil and even the labels. Our first thought was Woodlice eggs but I then read that these are carried and hatched in the mothers pouch and there seems to be a lot more of them than are shown in the example Woodlice egg images we found on the Internet.

I've attached some pictures taken with my phone. Please can anyone help to
    identify the producers of this stuff?

Regards and best wishes,

Tony Leaf2.jpg OnLabel.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Possibly caterpillar eggs Tony.

3. M_Anthony

M_Anthony Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks that's a strong possibility, though there's lots of the stuff on the bare soil too, which seems unusual where butterflies and caterpillars are involved.

Tony

4. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,887
    Yes that's unusual. I can't think what else they would be, slugs tend to have round eggs so I think we can discount those.