Something to share - Jody's Beans

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by KathrynMac, Apr 23, 2007.

1. KathrynMac

KathrynMac Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This story was written by myself for my little ones coming to visit my garden. We spent 2 hours with 30 5/6 year olds in my garden talking about worms, bugs, butterflies, bumble bees, compost, recycling and other kwel stuff! We planted carrots and squash. It was a good day for everyone especially the biggest kids..ME! Read on and share with all the Jody's you know.

Jody's Garden - please share with all those who are young at heart and feel there are no more miracles in life to be seen. I wrote this wit me own lil hands. Enjoy!

Jody LOVED to eat beans, all kinds of beans. Small ones, fat ones, green ones and brown ones. Her favourite were green beans with butter and a bit of black pepper.

Jody wanted to know how beans got to the market, how did they make them? Jody�s mother being very wise and having her own garden at home told Jody to grow her own beans and that would answer all her questions.

The very next day her mother went to the market and came back with a small white packet made of paper. On the cover was a picture of a green bean. When Jody shook the packet it made a funny sound, like it had rocks inside.

ââ?¬Å?Whatââ?¬â?¢s this?ââ?¬Â Jody asked.

ââ?¬Å?Those are your seeds.ââ?¬Â Her mother said.

"Seeds? What do I need seeds for?�Jody said very confused.

ââ?¬Å?Those are your bean seeds. You plant them in the ground and then you wait to see what happens next.ââ?¬Â

Jody was very excited. How could it be that something so small would turn into a bean plant? She had never seen anything like this before!

Jody ripped open the packet inside were small seeds that looked green and much like a bean. On the back of the packet there seemed to be a story. Since Jody couldn�t read very well (she was only 5 years old) she asked her mother to read it to her.

ââ?¬Å?It says plant your beans in April or May. You must plant it in the sunshine, see here on the packet it tells you if itââ?¬â?¢s a shady or sunny spot you need.ââ?¬Â Her mother said pointing at a sunshine symbol on the back of the packet.

ââ?¬Å?It says to plant them in the ground Ã?½ inch deep, and cover them with soil and pat gently down so they are kept warm. You see it is about the same length as your pointy finger.ââ?¬Â Her mother said holding Jodyââ?¬â?¢s hand up in front of her face.

"Next it says to water your seeds gently, never letting them dry out but not watering them too much otherwise the seed wonââ?¬â?¢t be able to breathe.ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?Next it says that if the plants are too crowded to move them apart gently as they grow.ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?It says you should see a plant in 10-14 days.ââ?¬Â

Jodyââ?¬â?¢s mind was swimming all those next, next, next things. ââ?¬Å?I canââ?¬â?¢t do all that! Itââ?¬â?¢s too HARDââ?¬Â Jody said. ââ?¬Å?Ten to fourteen days is a very, very long time! That is forever! I canââ?¬â?¢t wait that long.ââ?¬Â Jody was horrified and felt like crying. This was supposed to be a nice thing but now it just seemed too hard for her. How could she wait so long and do so many things for her plants to grow?

ââ?¬Å?You must be patient Jody. All good things take time and love to grow. Just like you they will need sunshine, water, food, fresh air, and protection from bad bugs and very windy days. Then like you they will grow very fast. It wonââ?¬â?¢t be so long, youââ?¬â?¢ll see, and I will help you when you get tired.ââ?¬Â Her mother said, taking Jodyââ?¬â?¢s hand gently.

ââ?¬Å?See our garden? Remember I grew flowers last year?ââ?¬Â Jody nodded. She remembered the tall flowers and the very small ones, the vibrant colours, the sweet and some sour smells. There were fine flowers she could touch and others that had prickly points on them. There were some you could eat and some that made yummy salads. Then there were the strawberries, so fat red and sweet! Much better than candy! Jody smiled, maybe it wouldnââ?¬â?¢t be so bad, and she could always ask her mum for help. She was very good at helping.

ââ?¬Å?You are big enough now to plant something you love to eat of your own. You like beans so we can plant beans today and care for them. Then you will see what the plants will give you back. You will learn where beans come from and how much work it takes to make them grow. Its fun Jody I promise.ââ?¬Â

Jody�s mother was always kind to everything. The butterflies even seemed to love her as they danced around her while she tended the garden. Their yellow wings came very close to her mother�s face sometimes, and it made Jody and her mother laugh. Her gentle way seemed to make the birds sing and when they were in the garden together it was always lovely. There were so many new things to see and taste.

Jody�s mother was working in the garden shed. As Jody peeked around the corner she could see many things that Jody wasn�t allowed to touch because they were too dangerous for such a small girl. But there were some things that were Jody�s.

She had small yellow garden gloves, and her own watering can that was just right for her small hands. She had garden wellies that had bright pink flowers on them and a great big floppy green garden hat. There were stains on her had from last years blackberries but Jody didn�t mind.

As Jody gathered her things her mother smiled. ââ?¬Å?You will look like a proper gardener now. Letââ?¬â?¢s get started and I will show you what to do.ââ?¬Â

Jody�s hat bobbed along as she walked with her mother. Thump, thump went her boots on the dry soil. The bean packet made a jingle sound as she walked. Jody kept her hand on her pocket so none would fall out. As they reached the vegetable patch Jody�s mother handed her a small shovel and they made a long row lightly in the dirt. Next she guided Jody�s hand and they made small holes in the dirt with her fingers. Just like her mother said her finger was the right size for bean holes!

ââ?¬Å?Now Jody, very carefully take one seed out of the packet and put one into each hole. Donââ?¬â?¢t worry if you get two we can sort them out later when they grow.ââ?¬Â Jody concentrated very hard, she squished up her face and squinted her eyes. She bent low to the ground and could smell the warm earth next to her nose. She wanted to do make certain she did this right.

As Jody finished her task she saw a large earth worm crawl past her hand. ââ?¬Å?Oh! Mummy look itââ?¬â?¢s a worm!ââ?¬Â Jody was scared and didnââ?¬â?¢t know what to do, maybe the worm wanted to eat her seeds. ââ?¬Å?No he mustnââ?¬â?¢t eat my seeds, you canââ?¬â?¢t let him.ââ?¬Â Jody screamed.

ââ?¬Å?Calm yourself Jody itââ?¬â?¢s all right. Look at the worm, see what he does.ââ?¬Â Jody and her mother watched as the worm slowly buried itself into the ground. Not touching the seeds at all.

ââ?¬Å?Maybe it wasnââ?¬â?¢t hungry.ââ?¬Â Jody said, not trusting this wiggly creature one bit. ââ?¬Å?He looks sneaky to me.ââ?¬Â

Jodyââ?¬â?¢s mother laughed. ââ?¬Å?No dear, the worms make the soil. They eat the bad things and make the soil black and nice for our plants. They are our friends in the garden. When there are too many worms the birds come along and eat them they feed them to the baby birds for tea. Itââ?¬â?¢s all part of the living things in the garden, they make the lovely dark compost we use from our compost bin, and the slugs help too. Now we must water your seeds and cover them up. They need water and soil to keep them warm.ââ?¬Â

When they were finished they patted the soil firmly in place with both hands. ââ?¬Å?Now we wait. Soon you will see your new plants grow.ââ?¬Â

Two days later Jody was looking at the garden and saw nothing. She frowned and looked at her mother wondering if her mother had told her a tale about these beans. They didn�t seem to be doing anything at all!

Five days later Jody was standing in the garden with her hands on her hips a frown planted firmly on her sun tanned cheeks.

ââ?¬Å?Whatââ?¬â?¢s the matter Jody?ââ?¬Â Her mother asked.

ââ?¬Å?They arenââ?¬â?¢t growing. And I donââ?¬â?¢t think they ever will.ââ?¬Â Jody was scowling and knew that she wasnââ?¬â?¢t being patient but she didnââ?¬â?¢t like this waiting thing not one bit.

ââ?¬Å?Have you watered them today?ââ?¬Â Her mother asked.

ââ?¬Å?No, I donââ?¬â?¢t see why they need water if they arenââ?¬â?¢t going to grow.ââ?¬Â She said putting out her lip to pout.

ââ?¬Å?Now Jody, what if I didnââ?¬â?¢t feed you simply because you were small. That would be horrible you would be very hungry and wouldnââ?¬â?¢t have the energy to grow and play. Your plants will grow; they are just babies now and need more time. Get your watering can and I will help you, we will give them some plant food and maybe that will help. It will be like giving them some vitamins.ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?Okay.ââ?¬Â Jody still was not convinced that this would work and her face showed her disbelief. It all seemed a bit strange to keep watering the mud with nothing happening at all.

It had been a week since Jody had been out in the garden. She had grown tired of waiting and had been leaving the watering to her mother. All she could think of is that she was never going to get any beans, occasionally she would peek at what her mother was up to ââ?¬â?? everything seemed to grow for her. Maybe she wasnââ?¬â?¢t a gardener after all.

She decided playing was better while her mother tended the garden. It was a lovely spring day and the sun was shining brightly, Jody took her ball and ran outside to play. Her mother was already in the garden watering and weeding. She could hear her singing to herself as she worked.

Jody was playing chase with her ball. She was excited as she loved kicking her ball. Laughing, she took her ball and gave it a great kick, harder than she ever had before. It flew at the house with a thud, and then bounced back into the middle of the vegetable garden!

ââ?¬Å?Mummy! My ball is in the vegetable patch and I canââ?¬â?¢t reach it.ââ?¬Â Jodyââ?¬â?¢s mother turned around to get the ball only to see Jody lying on the grass in front of the patch. ââ?¬Å?What are you looking at Jody?ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?Look.ââ?¬Â Jody whispered, pointing toward a row in front of her. ââ?¬Å?Something is happening.ââ?¬Â Jodyââ?¬â?¢s small finger was pointing toward several bumps in the soil, just underneath was something green and round. It was bent over as if the weight of the soil was holding it down.

ââ?¬Å?Can I touch it?ââ?¬Â Jody asked. ââ?¬Å?Are those my beans?ââ?¬Â

Jodyââ?¬â?¢s mother gently brushed away the soil with her finger, and underneath was one of Jodyââ?¬â?¢s plants! ââ?¬Å?Whoopee! They ARE growing, look what I did! I am a gardener just like you!ââ?¬Â Jody was holding her mothers hands and danced in a circle around her.

ââ?¬Å?Yes I see Jody. You are a very good gardener. Donââ?¬â?¢t you think that you should give them a drink. Seems as if they have had a long struggle to get outdoors.ââ?¬Â

ââ?¬Å?Yes, yes! I will water them. Iââ?¬â?¢m sorry I forgot about my plants, I should have taken better care of them.ââ?¬Â Jody said as she watered her small plants.

In a few days all of Jody�s plants were growing and as each day passed the leaves got bigger and taller. They became so tall that Jody�s mother had to put sticks in so they would grow straight and not lay on the ground. Jody talked to her plants every day now, and watered them when they needed a drink.

Then came the BIG harvest day. Jody pulled each one and put them into a wicker basket soon Jody had so many beans it was overflowing the basket. Jody and her mother carried them back to the house, washed each one in cold water and put them into a bowl. Jody�s mother then steamed the beans and covered them in a little butter and some pepper just the way Jody liked them. Jody ate until she thought she was going to explode! They were delicious.

That night Jody looked at the bean plants from her window. There were no more beans to be seen. ââ?¬Å?Thank you little seeds for giving me some lovely beans to eat. Next year I will remember to grow more of you now that I am a REAL gardener!ââ?¬Â

(Written for all the Jody's in the world! )