Soot Useage

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Kandy, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Kandy

Kandy Will be glad to see the sun again soon.....

Head gardener
    Ratings:
    +6,543
    Good day everyone:smile:

I am wondering if any of you good people can give me some advice about using soot either round the garden or on the allotment.Mr Kandy came home on Saturday after spending time with his sister at their late fathers house clearing out his greenhouse and shed with a half bag of soot.Now this soot must be over 15 years old as that was the last time he used his open fire in the lounge before having central heating put in.

What I want to know is can I sprinkle the soot round the garden borders which I would prefere to do as opposed to using it on the allotment which over the years has had so much manure,wood ash,leaf mould and chicken pellets added to it that the garden could do with it.

Will it harm the plants and soil if I sprinkle it round the garden or would it be beneficial even though it is old but dry.

Thanks for your help:smile:

2. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I've put soot on the shrub beds before, that stuff came from having the chimney swept so wasn't old like yours is. I can't see why it should do harm, whether it still contains much nitrogen I don't know, someone who is more knowledgeable than me might be able to tell you. I'd certainly sprinkle it about the place just avoid getting it too close to any plants' stems.