Sorry Spuds Again

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Rhyleysgranny, Jun 9, 2009.

1. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I understand potatoes need high potash feed. Would tomato feed do? When should start and how often should I feed?

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,995
    I use a tomato feed (like tomorite) on mine granny, same strength as for the tomatoes and sprayed onto the leaves with a watering can. You could just add some granular fertilizer like growmore, but the liquid feed is much quicker acting which is what you want right now to get nice early spuds.

3. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    I've never bothered ... maybe that is wrong though!

Once they get to marble size they need a very thorough watering, which will improve yield significantly (and I have read it reduces scab)

Growmore at planting time of course, and maybe some extra nitrogen during growing phase for Maincrops (too late now I expect)

4. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    If you've added plenty of growmore at planting time, that should be enough for earlies Kristen. I foliar feed my potatoes because I've got really light soil and nutrients just get washed away.

5. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I only planted a couple of weeks ago and didn't add growmore to the compost:dh: I used grow bag compost. Will I feed them with tomorite now and then later when they have all put on more growth. They are up about an inch

6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,995
    There will be some fertilizer in the grow bag, enough for them to get going with. Wait till they are a bit bigger, maybe a couple of weeks time to use the tomorite (or buy the Wilkos cheaper tomato food alternative, if you have Wilkos in NI?)

7. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    Worth feeding them with a general fertilizer for now (or even something higher in Nitrogen), and then a Tomato fertilizer when they are a month from being ready.

8. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Thank you for your patience JWK and Kristen. I'll give some general fertiliser today and then start the tomorite later.
    :thku::thku::thku::thku::thku:

9. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So, my potatos are at the 4" height now. Should i be general fertilisering them already? I'm just about to earth up for first time. Seems really weird covering a plant with dirt btw!

10. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    The best tattie crop I ever grew was fed nothing but horse manure. In fact they grew in little other than horse manure, as we needed the space that was occupied by the manure heap but had nowhere else to put it.

11. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have heard people say that before. Should I rush off and buy a pony:rotfl:

12. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    That would be one solution. Another might be to buy a sack of farmyard manure from the local garden centre, or better still, if you know any local farms, riding schools etc that have an excess of the stuff that they just want rid of, go and have a word.

13. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,668
    "Should i be general fertilisering them already? I'm just about to earth up for first time."

Yup, Growmore or somesuch should be just the ticket at that stage.

14. Rhyleysgranny

Rhyleysgranny Gardener

Ratings:
    +2

I collect cow manure from the field across the road every autumn after the residents vacate. I bag it and use it to layer the compost heap. The farmers are quite used to me with my spade and wheelbarrow:hehe: