1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

South Devon coast - tropical, organic, edible

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Organoponico, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

I have a Victorian terraced garden at the back of my seaside cottage. It's surrounded by original stone walls and I'm about 50m from the sea. The only time I've had frost here is when England had the 'Big Snow' in early 2009. The garden infrastructure is two large terraces held up by stone walls and stone steps -- the usual traditional seaside thing. One terrace has a tropical/exotic theme with bananas, cannas, callas, yukkas and cordylines accented with exotic flower bulbs. The other terrace is my herb and kitchen garden where I grow all the 'greatest hits' herb-wise, courgettes and salads, particularly wild rocket.

I garden organically and keep the slugs/snails at bay buy only choosing slug resistant, larger plants and Vaseline.

An 'organoponico' is a Cuban word for growing enthusiastically and organically with hard work and common sense. Manure is free and it works!

Thanks for looking!

O

2. Penny in Ontario

Penny in Ontario Total Gardener

Work for my husband.
    Ratings:
    +1,667
    Hi there and Welcome

Its nice to meet you.

3. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    Hello to another Devonian :) It sounds like you have a lovely garden and a great philosophy. You and Banana Man should get on famously with your choice of plants. Welcome to the forum and I hope you can post us some photos of your seaside patch! Kath, Ivybridge.

4. Organoponico

Organoponico Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I'll post some photos of the terraces once everything becomes a bit more lush!!! Thinks are starting to wake up in the garden and showing evidence of tropical promise!

5. walnut

walnut Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Hi Organoponico welcome to g c.