Sowing a new lawn

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by clueless1, Feb 11, 2011.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Hi all

I'm nearly ready to sow a new lawn in back garden, but before I start I'm after some advice please.

The soil in the back garden is clay. It's dug over now, and has been since last autumn, but needs levelling. I have no problem with that bit. However before I level it I plan to dig in my compost heap. My compost heap is made up of grass clippings, bracken, and horse manure. The trouble is it is not quite ready, probably needs another couple of months ideally.

Despite my initial ambitious plans, I've now decided that 'phase 1' will be to get a lawn down. It doesn't have to be perfect this year, just not bare mud. The main project will be 'phase 2' starting in autumn, and I don't mind digging the whole lot over again towards the end of this year.

So here are my questions:

1. If I dig in the compost now, before it is properly ready, will it help?
    2. What if I mix clover seed in with the grass seed?
    3. Do I need to compact the ground with a roller before/after seeding?
    4. Assuming I go for a mix of grass and clover, when can I start (up in the north east in a garden that gets limited sunshine and is made of clay)?

Cheers.

2. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,000
    No I wouldn't do that, the grass will not benefit and may even get its young roots scorched.

I like clover in the lawn, it's not everyones taste, but as you know it's roots convert nitrogen in air into a form that benefits grass, hence your lawn will be greener without needing to use fertilizers. You can get seed mixtures with Clover already added.

It's difficult to tell without seeing how nice a seed bed you have. Generally I'd say no to going over with a heavy roller, especially on clay. It can compact the top inch and form a cap like concrete preventing the grass seed from germinating or sending down its roots. It will need compacting however. The best method is to walk all over it on your heels, walk up and down in a pattern so you don't miss any. That will get the air out of the soil, then you can rake it over to fill in the gaps and level it.

I'd start now, provided it's not frosty.