1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Sowing seed collected this year

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by clueless1, Jul 27, 2013.

1. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,595
    Afternoon all.

Yet another propagation question:)

A couple of years ago wife grew brompton stock and sweet williams. Both did excellently and we had blooms for most of the time since she did it. Some of the blooms even lasted through winter.

Its all about done now. All gone to seed, which I intend to collect. I believe they are annual/biennial. Do they need cold stratification or can I just sow them now?

Also, got a couple of huge alliums that have now started producing seeds. Can I just sow them too or again, will they need a period of cold?

2. Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
    +12,667
    If you sow them and leave the container outside (perhaps covered so you can control the moisture, and not let it "flood" :), then it will get warm autumn and cold winter, just like Mother nature. I'd cover the compost with something to deter moss growth (in case they take a long time to germinate). Carol Klein on Gardeners World always uses a shovel full of grit, which I think is a bit harsh on the seedlings, but I use vermiculite and that's often not enough.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1