1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Following recent events, the Admin Team have a message for all members, which we hope will give some explanation and information.

We would be grateful if you could take the time to have a read. Thank you.

Click Here For More Info
    Dismiss Notice

Sowing seeds?

Discussion in 'Propagation This Month' started by lowrider69, Jan 8, 2019.

1. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +13,630
    It's a good idea to have a few small seed propogators , as photo . Not expensive from Wilkos or B and Q etc. Or the clear plastic food packaging you get with a lid will be fine . They increase the humidity and temperature for the seeds .
    51SVjt8KwyL._SX355_.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
      +10,664
      More of a cuttings man than seed sowing.
      I now have plenty of well rooted annuals and perennials to make bigger and earlier flowering plants than seed sown ones.
      Room for both types though :)

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • andrews

andrews Gardener

Waste Management and Consultancy
        Ratings:
        +458
        Ive bought a few of those over the years and they work really well.

Due to space restrictions.... or is that due to buying too many seeds Ive bought Caterline 1000cc food (salad) boxes for a lot of my seeds this year. OK, it doesn't give me the ability to open the vent but a lot of my seeds this year need the humidity so it was put the trays in resealing poly bags or something else.

I may only get a couple of uses out of each box but success rates to date have been good.

I'm also using Jiffy coir pellets for larger seeds. I'll use the small (12 hole) jiffy trays initially to fit in the heated propagators and then the 90 pellet trays when spring arrives and I get my bench back.

• Like Like x 2
        • Upsydaisy

Upsydaisy Keen Gardener

Retired...early!!
          Ratings:
          +1,666
          I also take a lot of cuttings, I just find it too hard to resist snipping off bits and getting them to root!!!!! I think it's mostly about the challenge for me as half the time I haven't the foggiest what the plant is or if it's really suitable for our garden.....thankfully I have lovely family and friends who are happy to allow me to roam free in their gardens!!:heehee::heehee: