Sowing wildflower seeds.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Jocko, Aug 19, 2022.

1. Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
    Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
    Ratings:
    +6,782
    When is the best time to sow wildflower seeds? In the autumn, when the plants are doing it naturally or in the spring? Or does it not really matter?

2. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,076
    I think it depends on what they are, but I don't know much about wild flowers.
    I think it's mostly a very early spring thing with the preparation of the ground going on right now.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
      +614
      Hi found this
      • Sowing season is generally from March - October, with wildflowers blooming 60-80 days after they've been sown. Sowing in early spring (March / April) will give you a showing of the annuals in your mix in summer, and sowing in early autumn (September / October) will help them in appear in early spring.
      thegrasspeople.com/sow-wildflower-seed
      How to Sow Wildflower Seed & Aftercare - The Grass People

• Like Like x 1
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,782
        Then there is this: Autumn is the best time to sow wildflower seeds as this will give you the earliest display of wildflowers. However, wildflower seeds can be sown throughout the year with bloom usually taking place after 60-80 days. It may be the case that the first bloom may be after the first winter of the seeds being in the soil. Also from the Grass People. The plants themselves sow them in Autumn hence my question. I have sown some gathered Lupin seeds and they have germinated and doing well so far.

• Janet mahay

Janet mahay Gardener

Ratings:
        +614
        Although sowing wildflower seeds – in autumn September / October, or in spring April / May. , you can technically sow wildflower seeds any time of year

• JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
        +48,979
        If you have annuals in your seed mix I think it's best to sow in the spring. That's what I did for a small patch at my daughter's place. It takes a couple of years for them to establish as they self seed and the dominant ones appear to take over.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • infradig

infradig Gardener

Freelance self preservationist
          Ratings:
          +1,155
          If you sow them now, as Nature intended, the attrition rate will be high and only a few will escape birds etc to germinate in Spring. If you wait, likely more will result . Competition is one of the greatest problems, especially amongst grasses. The "traditional" meadow results from grazing, where the herbivores moderate the amount of cover and impart fertility together with seeds picked up and egested, widely and randomly. A pattern you may find difficult to replicate.