Spanish Bluebells.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by silu, Apr 8, 2014.

1. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    I abhor Spanish Bluebells. I have literally 1000s in all colours! Last year I spent a considerable amount of time and a few bob laying industrial strength teram/membrane and bark chip over various beds thinking that there was no way the damn things would get through that lot...WRONG. The Bluebells have not minded a bit and even lifted the membrane and chip in places. I honestly wouldn't have thought it possible unless seen with my own eyes. Undaunted I thought the 1st really nice sunny day without wind I'd Roundup the offending articles and that would be that...WRONG again. Something made me think there might be a snag to my plan and I looked on the net to see if my suspicion was correct. To my horror I have read that Spanish Bluebells are resistant to weed killers, can you believe it? I am completely stumped now and if anybody can advise any ideas which might work I'd be very grateful. The size of the task is daunting. I really cannot lift all the membrane and barkchip (we are talking pick up load of bark chip not a few bags which I'd have to move) and try and dig the bulbs out. From previous investigations prior to laying membrane and bark many of the bulbs are over a foot deep. If I had a spare week I could I suppose go round cutting down all the top growth but not sure that's really effective? I have a nasty feeling I have been beaten and will have to live with them. I cannot attack them with anything too drastic as in the worst offending bed I also have some gorgeous species Rhododendrons which are of a serious size and doubt they'd take kindly to also be doused with the likes of neat bleach which is about the only thing that I can imagine might do the trick. All/ any suggestions most welcome.

2. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,866
    From RHS -
    Guess it's digging time again :( There must be a weedkiller for them somewhere...

3. shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
    Ratings:
    +122,476
    I've just dug up over 400 of them (anyone want them? :heehee:) and they were very tough to get out.

I don't think I've removed all of them as they're amongst other plants and I couldn't dig deeply enough. Even where the area was clear I couldn't get deep enough for some of them. At a full spit depth I still wasn't seeing any sight of the bulbs!

They've got runners? :hate-shocked: :yikes: I hope mine are pensioners and can't run much :old: :heehee:

I've done the best I can and shall just chop off the leaves of any that I can't dig out. Hopefully, it will eventually stifle them.

Sorry, silu, but it seems bad news for us! :sad:

4. silu

silu gardening easy...hmmm

Ratings:
    +8,083
    Why is it that these wretched things are indestructible yet a prized plant legs up for no apparent reason? That law beginning with S comes to mind:).

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,898
    I sympathise! I haven't got Spanish bluebells but British ones and the same applies Silu, I hate them! Luckily there aren't many in my garden and I dig up what I can, weedkiller is useless. What is more irritating to me is they've self seeded from elsewhere, there were none in my garden when I moved here! :doh:

• Informative Informative x 1