Spectacles

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by pete, Jan 30, 2016.

1. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,728
    Does anyone know how they come up with your prescription and how it should be?

I've just bought some new reading glasses and a pair for distance.

Trouble is, with both pairs each eye is in focus at a different distance, if that makes sense.
    What I mean is with the reading glasses my right eye has a fairly long focus, ie I can move the page back and forth quite a bit but it still stays in focus, with the left eye I can only move it in or out a couple of inches before it goes blurred.
    I find it easier to read with one eye shut.

Distance pair are similar, one is in focus say at 5ft but the other isn't.

Its driving me nuts and have tried a similar experiment with my old reading glasses, which dont seem to do this.

I was told to go away and use them, to get my brain used to them, as they are new.

Never worn distance glasses before, because although I had a pair of varifocals, I could still see distance better by looking over the top:biggrin:

Wouldn't mind so much but these were pretty expensive, I've used ones bought for a tenner at the chemists before and never had this trouble.

2. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,866
    I alway thought that when you have your eyes tested, you have the lens made for each eye as to the prescription, becauce each eye is differant

• Agree Agree x 8
      Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
    • "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
      +31,885
      I'm no expert, but that just sounds like twaddle to me :th scifD36:
      But, you could humour them, give it a couple of days and if it's still the same go back again and tell them your brain is quite used to the idea that your eyes are focussing at different distances with the new glasses thank you very much and please could you have a pair that work properly for your eyesight.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • pete

Retired
        Ratings:
        +91,728
        Kind of what I had in mind @"M" , but was not sure if they would say it was my fault as they can only go by what I say during the eye test.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
        • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
          +28,997
          Your prescription would have been based on what you saw of the Snellen/Logmar chart at the time, and at a distance of 20 feet (where the expression 20/20 vision comes from). My optician (not a high street chain, but an independent who sells hand made designer spectacles - I believe that some things are worth spending extra money on) re-checks everything a couple of minutes later to check it's all still the same. Distance glasses are based on what I see on those charts, but reading/computer glasses prescriptions are based upon what I see at the distance I tell him that I'm from a PC screen/book/etc.

The bit about your brain getting used to things is usually after a prescription change (maybe new glasses?), because your brain will have been trying to correct an out of date (non?) prescription, and it does take a few days for the brain to use them correctly.

Try your distance glasses at 20 feet.

I assume you were provided with a copy of your prescription, so get a free eye test and check it. You will be entitled to a free eye test if you provide the 'correct' information.

Mine cost £200 - £300 per pair (plus cost of lenses), so I'm careful that they are just what I need.

• Informative Informative x 2
            Last edited: Jan 31, 2016
          • pete

Retired
            Ratings:
            +91,728
            I used a smaller optician, mainly because the big chain ones that I have used in the past involve town centre parking etc.
            Bought some more expensive frames for the distance ones but cheaper ones for reading.
            I was under the impression that mostly the high cost is down to the frames rather than the lenses.

I dont think the room they did the eyetest in was more than 10ft square.

Although both pairs dont seem right its the reading ones that really make me want to shut one eye.

• Like Like x 1
            • wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
              Ratings:
              +91,522
              Hi @pete this might help:smile:

[​IMG]

SPH (sphere)
              A + in the box indicates that you are long sighted which means you find it difficult to see things close to you. A – shows that you find it hard to see things that are far away without glasses. The number might be very small, like 0.25, or a large number, like 6.00. The higher the number, the stronger the prescription lenses required. This can influence your choice of frames. The higher the prescription, the greater the curve of the lens needed.

CYL (cylinder)
              The amount of astigmatism (visual distortion) that is caused by an irregularly shaped cornea. If this box is empty, it means that there is no astigmatism and your eyes are perfectly spherical, like a football. If there is a low number, like 0.25, it means that your eyes are nearly round but not quite. A higher number, like 3.00 shows that your eyes are quite oval in shape.

AXIS
              The direction of the astigmatism, measured in degrees. The number is not related to how well you can see but it helps the lab know what angle to position your lenses in the frame.

PRISM
              This usually indicates that your eyes do not work well as a pair. If there is muscle imbalance between your eyes, prism lenses will provide the correction you need and help prevent double vision or headaches.

BASE
              The base simply tells the lab where to put the prism in your glasses.

ADD
              If you are over 45, there may be a number where it says ‘ADD’. This is your reading addition and relates to the amount of additional correction needed to focus at close distances. If a measurement is shown in this section, it means you have different prescriptions for distance and reading. Bifocal or varifocal lenses may be needed.

• Informative Informative x 2
              • Like Like x 1
              • pete

Retired
                Ratings:
                +91,728
                Yeah, I did read that earlier Woo. Thanks.:smile:
                Doesn't help much really though.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
                • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                  +53,823
                  I've never been told this Pete and it's only usually said to people using varifocals. I wear glasses for distance but wear bi-focals, I can't get on with varifocals. I have a separate pair of glasses for using my lap top computer as I find the bi-focals a struggle with this.

If the lens or lenses are giving you problems then you must go back as the prescription is almost definitely wrong. If the optician won't re-exam your eyes then you will have to go elsewhere and tell the new optician what has happened. You can't carry on as you are, the lenses are definitely wrong and you could cause damage by wearing them as they are.

• Agree Agree x 3
                  • Like Like x 1
                  • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                    Ratings:
                    +7,334
                    I use varifocals, and it is true you need two or three weeks to get used to them
                    Similar with Bi-focals
                    Shorter period with separate distance and reading
                    Providing the lenses match the prescription, then it is just a matter of time
                    I have odd readings too R -2 L -1.75 and reading R =1.5 L = 1.75
                    I only had the two week problem when I went Varifocal, the Bifocal was just actually using them for the right distance

So if the lenses match the actual prescription IT IS JUST A MATTER OF TIME AND EFFORT

• Informative Informative x 1
                    • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                      Ratings:
                      +122,197
                      I'm very particular about my glasses and have three different pairs - bifocal (worn most of the time) distance, and a pair made especially for working at my desk and computer.

Most opticians say you should go away and get used to them but I don't agree with that. I can tell within ten minutes whether they're going to be right and the opticians that I go to (one of the big chains) knows it. You may have a slight disorientation when first wearing them but you shouldn't have different focal points. I spend a few minutes walking around the shopping centre before going back in to tell them what I think.

It can't be your fault for what you say during the test. The tests are devised to check your eyes a number of different ways and an experienced optician will immediately notice any discrepancy. It's their job to get it right. So go back straight away and tell them what you have found to be wrong.

It could be that they didn't get the test correct but could also be that the lens makers have made a mistake and the dispenser hasn't checked the lenses against the prescription. Whatever it is, you need glasses that work for you and that's what you have paid them for. Don't let them try and wriggle out of it.

I've been wearing glasses for nearly 70 years and am very sensitive to discrepancies. The opticians have on file that I can tell if the lenses are out, down to less than .125 of a dioptre. Having new lenses made when they have made a mistake costs next to nothing. Remaking is costed into the process.

Phone them and tell them you need to see them straight away. Having different focal lengths can be dangerous, are very disorienting and can cause serious headaches - apart from making it dangerous to drive.

• Agree Agree x 2
                      • Like Like x 1
                      • Informative Informative x 1
                      • Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
                        +28,997
                        And illegal if you can't read a number plate at 20m. This picture was taken 20m from the car, can you read the number plate?

[​IMG]

• Jiffy

Pyro
                        Ratings:
                        +32,866
                        I can Scungee, but i can't if i'm 20m from my computer :roflol:

• Funny Funny x 8
                        • shiney

shiney President, Grumpy Old Men's Club Staff Member

Retired - Last Century!!!
                          Ratings:
                          +122,197
                          I can't read it if I'm 20" from my computer - unless I have my glasses on.

• Funny Funny x 3
                          • Jiffy

Pyro
                            Ratings:
                            +32,866
                            When they measured you up for the lens, did they measure from your bridge of your nose to the centre of your eyes or did they measure centre of your eyes then devid by 2,
                            the lens may not be in the right place for you to see ok
                            also the cheaper lens are only polished one one side but the expenivse one are polished on both side