Speed Cameras

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by wiseowl, Mar 30, 2023.

1. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,507
    Despite common misconceptions about speed camera warnings, it is not a legal requirement for the police nor local authorities to warn motorists about any cameras up ahead. Although the majority of static and mobile speed cameras do come with a sign telling drivers to keep their speed down else get caught - advanced warnings are more of a deterrent than anything else.

The idea behind unmarked speed camera vans is to encourage consistently safe driving rather than the yo-yo effect that can sometimes occur when drivers slow down for marked vans. Although the scheme has currently only been introduced in Northamptonshire, other police forces could soon roll out these covert camera vans across other regions across the country.

It comes after a drop in driver safety following the pandemic, as research reveals that one in four fatal collisions on UK roads occurs because of speeding. Shockingly, this means that over 2,500 people are seriously injured or harmed each year, due to inappropriate speeding.

0_unnamed-8.jpg

• Informative Informative x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +91,679
      More likely a drop in revenue during the pandemic and it looks like a good way of clawing it back.

We really should know just exactly what all the money that they make is being spent on.
      Likewise parking fines and going in bus lanes.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Jocko

Jocko Guided by my better half.

Retired engineer. Now Vice CEO of the garden.
        Danderhall on southern edge of Edinburgh. Zone 8a.
        Ratings:
        +6,782
        That could be an ANPR camera, not necessarily a speed camera. And as for having the vans in Battenburg colours, they can actually register your speed and reg number a mile before you get to them before the majority of drivers even spot the marked van.
        Personally, I think speeding motorists deserve everything they get (sorry if this offends some members).

• Agree Agree x 2
        • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
          Ratings:
          +91,679
          I think there is speeding and there is speeding, I got done for doing 60 on a motorway slip road that they had suddenly decided to drop to 50 for no apparent reason.

My sister got done for doing 32 in a 30 area that had been extended due to a new housing development.

Do they catch the ones in my residential street? nope, they go past my house at 50 plus sometimes, its narrow with parked cars.

And they say its all about safety.:roflol:

• Agree Agree x 2
          • gks

gks Total Gardener

Production Manager
            Ratings:
            +4,947
            These speeding motorists are a pain, I can't even play my new hobby without being nearly wiped out. :heehee:

golf.jpg

• Funny Funny x 5