Speeding up leaf composting?

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by ElaineTP, Nov 19, 2018.

1. ElaineTP

ElaineTP Gardener

Ratings:
    +47
    I've got a tonne of sycamore leaves I want to compost - in the past I've bagged them and left them but it took 2 years to completely break down - ideally I want the leaf compost ready for next spring - any ideas anyone?
    Thanks

2. john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +8,190
    Like you ElaineTP, I would be interested in any members secret way to compost leaves in 1 year:scratch:

• Like Like x 1
    • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      You need yeast from the bottom of a beer keg and heat :)

• Useful Useful x 1
      • Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
        Ratings:
        +31,471
        Put them through the mower first as they will be chopped up, but weather they will break down in a year i don't now as i just put them in my compost bins or spread them over the veg garden for the worms (through the mower) never done just leaves

• Useful Useful x 1
        • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
          Ratings:
          +8,190
          Hi Zigs, can you buy Yeast and do it that way please

• kindredspirit

kindredspirit Gardening around a big Puddle. :)

Retired.
          Ratings:
          +4,585
          I've never tried it but apparently if you mix flour thoroughly through the leaves, they rot down faster. I just use my leaf mould as a mulch and in that way, it vanishes in a year.

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
          +17,486
          Plenty of sycamore leaves here and they break down fast. They are mixed with grass mowings and other materials in the compost heap.
          However, I have found that siting the compost heap in a sunny spot, (it seems to make quite a difference if the heap is in fulll sun) turning the heap a few times, adding the odd thin layer of garden soil and covering the heap with bubble plastic has dramatically increased the breakdown speed.
          I have also used a mower over gathered mounds of leaves to use as a mulch :)

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          You can, but it needs warmth to work. I've done it on a small scale and it broke down in 3 months :)

• Informative Informative x 1
          • Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
            Ratings:
            +6,097
            Elaine TP. Thanks for your question.

Briefly, leaf-mould is simply another means of 'Bulking up' the soil General compost containg all manner of vegative and perhaps kitchen waste is also used to bulk up and help to add some improvement to the soil.

Compost can often contain and provide an assortment of nutrients beneficial to the soil, but basically compost remains bulk matter. Leaf-mould despite often breaking down much finer, it remains simply a soil bulker. The leaf-mould has very little to offer in the way of nutrients. I have on the past used leaf-mould on it's own as a substitute compost, eg; for cuttings and even seed sowing of larger seeds. You mention your main concern is to use leaf-mould as a seed compost. Personally I'd advise you to stick with a reputable seed compost, especially when sowing very fine seed.

Me and compost. Perhaps we may find that composting isn't for me. No room for storage etc. So for the larger garden or plot may I suggest. Spread out the would-be compost or leaf litter over the ground. Let the winter get to it and break it down. Worthwhile considering. The liquids from the rotting/decaying vegetation will seap into the ground, and not be wasted under the compost heap. Then in due time. spread some lime over the area as, the compost can often change the pH of the soil making it perhaps a bit too acidic. Now dig the area over.

In the past, whilst working in an ancient woodland/park. I'd often divert a couple of trailer loads of leaves to a close corner of our plot. Then digging the plot over...by hand. Especially when planting the spuds. Down goes the string line, and out is dug a spit, this leaving a semi 'V' shaped trough. Now a good layer of leaves would go in followed by the seed potato. Now continue digging and throwing forward. IMO this is the best way to use up, dispose of the fallen leaves.

Whoever you are. Whatever your level of gardening might be. Please continue to enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
            • Friendly Friendly x 1
            • john558

john558 Total Gardener

Retired
              Ratings:
              +8,190
              Hi Mike, for the past few years I've used a mix of well rotted/sieved leaf mold mixed (50/50) with seed compost for growing Toms, Cucumbers, never had a problem. It would be good to get the stuff rotted quicker though.

• Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
              Ratings:
              +6,097
              Nice one John.

As a point of interest. Conifer needles make a very good leaf-mould.

It's good to remember also. That when using leaf-mould etc for getting seed going. The compost basically acts as a containment. Nutrients are not required, just a medium to retain the seed and provide an anchor for the early roots. Remember as a child, growing mustard & cress on blotting paper.

• Agree Agree x 1
              • ElaineTP

ElaineTP Gardener

Ratings:
                +47
                Thanks John & Mike

• Like Like x 1