Spiders in the Hibiscus

Discussion in 'Pests, Diseases and Cures' started by Shea Pendragon, Sep 22, 2011.

1. Shea Pendragon

Shea Pendragon Apprentice Gardener

building,object & crime scene cleaner
    Ratings:
    +5
    After pondering a while over why the Hibiscus in my living room is constantly covered in small spiders webs,I decided to get in really close,and i found hundreds of minature spiders crawling all over it.They're so small,that I could only see them in the bright sunshine.On further inspection,I found a medium sized spider hidden in the center of the foliage.This could be mum.I dont mind spiders as a rule,but this plant is in the appartment.
    Has anyone any advice on getting them to move out.Should I spray them with something nasty,or should the whole plant go.(at my appartment,I dont have a garden of balcony)
    Any advice appreciated.... before the littleones grow up if possible.:D
    Thanks
    SP.

2. Shea Pendragon

Shea Pendragon Apprentice Gardener

building,object & crime scene cleaner
    Ratings:
    +5
    After googling different keywords and reading descriptions of various things,I've come to the conclusion that its a bad infestation of spider mites.My Ivy has it as well.
    :help: How do I get rid of them....please

3. catztail

catztail Crazy Cat Lady

soon to be bus driver
    Ratings:
    +2,250
    I've tried everything to get rid of the *#@%$&!!*s. Even Provado didn't work! I have some plants that want bringing inside for winter so I got some neem oil from eBay and am going to try spraying with a solution of that. No idea if it will work but I sure hope so. As far as I'm concerned they are the WORST pest EVER !

4. Marley Farley

Marley Farley Affable Admin! Staff Member

Grandmother Gardener Councillor Homemaker
    Ratings:
    +14,126
    I have used Neem oil for spider mites with good results Shea & Catztail.. You can get it from Ebay... :thumbsup: They thrive in hot dry atmospheres & hate the damp... So I mist my plants as well now.. :WINK1:

• Like Like x 1
    • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
      Ratings:
      +92,099
      Not sure what you can get in Germany, but look for a spray containing Abermectin, and states that it kills Red Spider Mite.

I've not tried Neem oil, but as its an ornamental plant I'd just go for a killer rather than trying the organic approach.