Spinach in the greenhouse.

Discussion in 'Greenhouse Growing' started by LindsayH, Oct 1, 2013.

1. LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
    Ratings:
    +132
    I've been really fighting for space in my greenhouse all summer as I had to keep all my shed stuff in there. My new shed is coming Friday (hurrah!) so at last I will have some space. Is there anything edible I can grow in there during autumn/winter (unheated)? I was thinking of planting some spinach in a pot but will it just bolt or fail to grow? I have one 4 week old French bean plant in there and chard/kale outside in the veg patch. Thank you!

2. Fern4

Fern4 Total Gardener

The gardener of the house!
    Ratings:
    +7,491
    My new shed is coming this week too....another hurrah! Sorry that really didn't answer your question!

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +48,994
      It's getting a touch late for spinach even in the greenhouse, if you can get it established before the winter it might be OK. Whilst being very hardy it doesn't grow over-winter and once spring arrives it will just run to seed though. No harm in giving it a go.

• Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      Might be worth having a go with Yellow Mustard, although I would have planted it a bit earlier for winter greens.

• Lolimac

Lolimac Guest

Ratings:
      +0
      I read in my gardening magazine about having a go at growing Dwarf French Beans in the GH ...It said to sow 5 or 6 beans in an 8" pot...need to be kept frost free...and to use a dark seeded bean as they are hardier....you could have a go at those:blue thumb:

• Kristen

Kristen Under gardener

Ratings:
      +12,668
      I would go for Swiss Chard / Leaf Beet overwinter, rather than Spinach.

I have grown dwarf French beans too, but only as a late Autumn crop (sown early August) and against as an early Spring crop ... not an overwintered crop.

Other things I would grow, such as Lams Lettuce, I would have started in early August.

If you can buy plants at the garden centre they might be worth considering, but I would expect them to only be 4 weeks froms eed, 6 weeks at most, so not really "early August sowing" and thus probably too small to be much good (notwithstanding which my local garden centre stocks such things, now, for the mugs that they perceive their customers to be :( )

• LindsayH

LindsayH Gardener

Veterinary nurse.
      Ratings:
      +132
      All brilliant replies, thanks guys! I did think I was pushing my luck a bit but worth asking.

Fern, we should compare new sheds! I'm trying to decide what colour to paint mine...

Dark seeded beans are hardier - good to know.

Stupid question but what is yellow mustard? Like you eat with beef??

I might have a little trundle up to my local garden centre if my bank account allows. Just this once. I have mug written all over my face :snork:

• Like Like x 1