Spray painting 11 fence panels- are they any good

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by flower-power, Mar 10, 2014.

1. flower-power

flower-power Gardener

local authority
    Ratings:
    +35
    I may as well go for it and replace most of my fence panels which is 11 in total as I seem to be liable for both sides. As they and the ones at the bottom are currently painted green I want to continue the theme but the thought of painting 11 panels could take forever- plus dripping down the other side and my neighbours may complain a bit as they seem to. I was looking at getting a cuprinol sprayer -or similar- but they either seem to spray everything in the vicinity or use 3 times as much paint. I was going to spray them whilst they were lying down to avoid drips onto the other side. whats the general consensus- hand paint or spray. And I was going to do it before they slot into the concrete godfathers?

2. merleworld

merleworld Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +4,087
    I painted 20 odd panels by hand last year. Quite enjoyed it :huh:

It would be better to take them out and paint/spray them. I painted the concrete posts to match the panels because I don't like the look of them, but the ones I did take out and paint I put on the grass to paint.

Not used a sprayer so can't advise on that.

3. Jiffy

Jiffy The Match is on Fire

Pyro
    Ratings:
    +32,985
    Why not use a roller :biggrin:

4. roders

roders Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +7,094
    :SUNsmile: It just doesn't seem right to spray a thin coat of paint on fence panels......to me.
    You need a generous coat, forcing the liquid with a suitable brush into every nook and cranny, bearing in mind it's not just the visual impact but first and foremost keeping the much changing weather out.
    It takes time but so worth it.

5. Loofah

Loofah Admin Staff Member

Ratings:
    +23,862
    Use a cheap pasting brush - fast coverage and plenty of paint (or whatever you're using); I usually use creocote dark. I only really hear people complaining about sprayers clagging up but never actually used one myself.