Spring border - planting ideas wanted!

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Philip Hughes, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Philip Hughes

Philip Hughes Gardener

Ratings:
    +9
    Hi everyone,

I have attached images of a border I have at the bottom of my garden, under a deciduous tree. As you can see, I have some miniature daffodils and will be using the rest of the space for bee-friendly spring flowering plants as follows:
    three primula vulgaris (two of them are already in and flowering, although one is much healthier than the other!)
    three hellebores - these are doing well and I am not moving them
    three geranium phaeum - two of them are already in and very healthy.
    I also have two low-growing ferns to put in.
    All the plants go very well together, but I am unsure how best to situate them. My thinking is to put the ferns behind the daffodils (one to the left of the border and the other behind the tree, on the far right). Another option is to put a fern in amongst the bed, but I am worried it will block my view of some of the other plants (the fern in question only grows to 30cm, but that is high enough to hide the daffs).
    I also think that I have placed the geraniums too closely together.
    The daffodils and hellebores will be staying where they are at either end, but the rest I can play around with.
    Any advice or suggestions on how best to make the plants I have work well together will be gratefully received!
    Thanks,
    Phil. photo 2(1).JPG
    photo 1.JPG

2. nijinski

nijinski Gardener

carpenter
    Ratings:
    +57
    hi phil, some very colourful pansies and primroses. regards nijinski

3. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Going purely by my own observations, I think members of the allium family are popular with bees. They would also do well in that bed. Chives are probably a major win. They seem to flower forever and always have bees on them. Wild garlic is nice too, and flowers much earlier than many things. Sticking with the wild theme, how about some wild strawberries. You win and the bees win. The bees get the flowers, and you get the delicious (but tiny) fruits.