Spring bulbs

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Flora Poste, May 1, 2006.

1. Flora Poste

Flora Poste Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Like an idiot I completely forgot to put my bulbs in at the end of last year. After lifting them last summer I put them in paper bags in the shed with some green sulphur.

They are all shooting now, but I don't know whether it is best to put them in the soil now and have the latest flowering spring bulbs ever, or leave them where they are and put them in at the correct time this autumn?

2. Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +3,070
    Get them in the ground, all that will happen if you leave them is that they will dry up and die. You will not get any flowers next year though and probably they will not survive even if planted out.

3. Waco

Waco Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    So why not just chuck them now if she is not going to get any flowers and then they will die? or have I missed something?

I would take a chance on it, I am a bit in the same boat as I could not get bulbs in last Autumn because of my accident, I stuck them in last month and I am optamistic!

The other thing you could do would be to plant them in a spare nursery bed and give them a chance.