Spring in the garden. 2019 ?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Petemz, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
    +114
    How about it ?
    New ideas for your garden, a complete makeover or perhaps more of your favourite flowers, plants and shrubs, maybe extra vegetable plots ?

Let us know your ideas, thoughts, on how you would like to see your garden looking in spring/summer, next year ?

• Like Like x 2
    • Doghouse Riley

Doghouse Riley Head Gardener

"Pleasantly unemployed."
      Ratings:
      +4,411
      There's very little room in our garden for additions. We've some bare root roses to come later this month so of the dozen in ceramic pots on the patio three of the poorer performers will have to be moved elsewhere or banished to the "walk of shame" against the fence along the drive to the side of our house.

We've couple of fuschias behind the continually growing rhodos that I might replant in front of our "bamboo forest" at the bottom of the garden. I anticipate spending much less on the garden next year. in the last ten years we've averaged about £700 a year. But that includes maintenance, changing some patio pots from plastic to ceramic and the replacement of tools, it's not all plants.

Err..The koi pool is another "cost centre."

• Like Like x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
        Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
      • Petemz

Petemz Gardener

Ratings:
        +114
        Sounds like you have a really great garden, and Koi pool there! :dbgrtmb:

• Like Like x 2
        • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
          +1,707
          I've put some small new plants in this autumn - assorted kniphofia "Popsicle," some lamiums, a "Nostalgia" rose, etc. - and hope those will all establish well over the autumn and flourish next year. It'd be great to get a first crop of fruit from my "Jelly King" crab apple and my strawberry-flavoured grape vine, too.

I've also recently cut back some out-of-control plants in the wilderness area, to let the light in and hopefully improve the balance of things next year.

I dare say I will come up with other new ideas over the winter, and spot new plants I fancy come the spring!

• Like Like x 4
          • Friendly Friendly x 1
          • Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
            +17,486
            You will love the Popsickles Clare G......I have most if not all of them :)

For spring and summer next year? I have already been tinkering and more ...as I always do from now and over winter. Prob not too many new plants but I have quite a few that have been growing on in pots that will be planted out including daphne odora aureomarginata grown from cuttings and now large enough to flower next year. Removal of an old boring variegated buxus to be replaced by daphne Perfume Princess already massed in bud and the removal of a buddleia davidii to be replaced with edgeworthia. None of this allows for impulsive changes I am sure to make over winter:noidea:. Oh, and an attack on a huge canna pretoria that is now more than 10' wide. Cannas grow fast here so need controlling:)

• Like Like x 6
            • Sienna's Blossom

Sienna's Blossom Super Gardener

Ratings:
              +1,875
              I've got a pink berry sorbus coming soon, which I'm looking forward to.

Next year, I'm thinking about adding a rose walk, with a few arbours along the stepping stone path.

Also, a small raised pond for the patio area.

I'm a bit of a plant-a-holic, so I can imagine we will be adding some other newbies as they catch my eye!

• Like Like x 6
              • CarolineL

CarolineL Total Gardener

Retired Software engineer
                Ratings:
                +4,304
                Because I will be having a new, smaller garden, I have resolved to be more controlled rather than what I currently do, which is to buy more plants than I have room for. So I need to get plants that provide a longer season of interest. But there are so many temptations...

• Like Like x 6
                • NigelJ

NigelJ Total Gardener

Mad Scientist
                  Ratings:
                  +20,951
                  Put in new row of fruit trees, sort out water butts, sow two grass paths and continue to tidy up rocky bank. Plant out contents of nursery bed.
                  I expect there will be some new plants as well already got my eye on a bamboo.
                  That's just a start more things will be added as winter progresses.

• Like Like x 7
                  • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
                    +52,311
                    I've had my current garden just over a year and will be continuing it's restoration and rescue from nature come next Spring. Having spent this last year mainly working indoors I hope to achieve things I didn't outside. One of those was to widen the standing area of my drive which means digging out part of a raised lawn that sits approximately 1ft above drive level. Beyond that I've made no plans, I prefer to work without a schedule.

• Like Like x 5
                      Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
                    • longk

longk Total Gardener

Ratings:
                      +23,089
                      I planted some Hermodactylus tuberosus before the summer and I'm hoping that they've survived.
                      I've also planted out some species Fritillary that I've grown from seed and I hope that they get through the winter.
                      Beyond that I intend growing lots of totally unsuitable plants from seed!

• Like Like x 6
                      • Funny Funny x 1
                      • Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
                        Ratings:
                        +246
                        I basically have a blank canvas. I moved in last August and have spent the first half of the year clearing some bits up, and making the best use of my veg plot as I can. Now the veg plot is all covered in weed membrane and old carpet. I am going to be building 4 raised beds with a gravel walkway cross between them and also give my greenhouse a really good clean out and replace the missing panels.

Since we got guineapigs in April, one of my raised beds and a part of the greenhouse is going to be dedicated to growing their food. I am actually still growing some stuff in the greenhouse now for treats.

I have a kind of U shape behind my house surrounded by my conservatory and kitchen which is just paved, but I want to build a little walled seating area there with different pots of grasses and plants as it doesnt get a huge amount of light, but is the most private part of the garden with no neighbors able to see that area so will be nice to sit in.

I have other plans but there is far too much to do and not enough money to do it :)

• Like Like x 2
                        • Clare G

Clare G Super Gardener

Ratings:
                          +1,707
                          I am intrigued to know what it is that you grow for the guineapigs @Carllennon? I remember caring for the school one over a summer holiday - it ate some kind of dry mix I think, but was also partial to carrots.

Your seating area plan sounds lovely and actually I think that's a great way to start out - do the one bit that you already have a clear vision for well, and then you can sit out there next year maturing your plans for the rest. Preferably with a cup of tea/ mug of coffee/ glass of wine, according to preference!

• Carllennon

Carllennon Gardener

Techie
                          Ratings:
                          +246
                          @Clare G carrots are by far their favourite food. They should have 50g each a day of fresh veg as well as their dry mix and "unlimited hay". They love kale, romaine lettuce, beetroot, cauliflower, cucumber and broccoli. Those are the main things I am going to grow, they do love raddish leaves too so will eat the roots ourselves but all the leaves go to the piggies, the raddish and lettuce will probably be their spring food as thats fastest to grow.

• Informative Informative x 1
                          • noisette47

noisette47 Total Gardener

Ratings:
                            +13,960
                            @Verdun
                            Apologies to the OP for a bit of thread drift, but I'm intrigued! How do you go about rooting your Daphne cuttings, Verdun? Over the years that's one plant that I simply can't propagate, whether by cuttings or berries, and goodness knows I've tried :gaah: Considering the harsh conditions here, Daphnes do quite well, but as they're known for dropping dead unexpectedly, I'd love to be able to create reserve plants. Any advice would be very gratefully received :)

• Verdun

Verdun Passionate gardener

Ratings:
                            +17,486
                            Good morning noisette :)

They are notoriously difficult to propagate, or at least they were!! I found softwood cuttings hit and miss but now resort to hardwood cuttings with greater success. So, hardwood cuttings now for me.

I use john innes compost and add a little perlite to the bottom of the hole made with a dibber. I take 4 to 5" stems, trim base back to shoots, peel off all but very top leaves and water in. You can insert cuttings in open ground but I prefer half litre pots (to minimise root disturbance when repotting). Leave the pots outside in a sheltered spot or in a cold frame. Resist the urge to inspect or poke the cuttings.....leave them for a year until you see new shoots. I then repot and allow another year before planting out......you cant hurry daphnes; They are slow.:noidea:

You are right, they do suddenly die so having follow on plants is a good idea. Resist the urge to prune too much too. Here, on my sandy loam, I add dried manure, compost etc and mulch at planting time but thereafter try to leave well alone. Daphnes seem to resent disturbance and over fussiness. Decide on your best position from the start too.....a problem I often have:sad:......and leave them there.

Position? I find Odora grows best in open ground; (here in Cornwall summer heat is not too oppressive but shelter from the sun where it is very hot) Mezereum in shade. Not too exposed though in my experience.

Patience noisette! You'll get there :)