Spring lawn care- what to do next

Discussion in 'Lawns' started by Meomye, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Meomye

Meomye Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site and I am hoping you can give me some advice please.
    I have just verticut my lawn (when I say lawn, it was mostly weeds and moss) and was wondering what steps to take next and when? I know that after such drastic action as scarifying and verticutting the lawn looks awful and people say 'it will bounce back' but if there wasn't much grass to start with how do I prevent it becoming just a weed patch?

2. steve (cambridge)

steve (cambridge) Apprentice Gardener

Retired aircraft engineer
    Ratings:
    +22
    Good morning Meomye
    Unless you think its best to dig it up and start afresh, I would apply moss killer before any scarifying other wise it'll disperse moss spores leading to more moss later on , oh and one other thing please don't go for a moss weed and feed 3 in 1 I use a designated treatment for each which gives far better control . :)

3. Meomye

Meomye Gardener

Ratings:
    +36
    Good morning @steve (cambridge) thank you for replying, I did put some iron sulphate on a few weeks ago, just wondering what to do now?

• Like Like x 1
    • steve (cambridge)

steve (cambridge) Apprentice Gardener

Retired aircraft engineer
      Ratings:
      +22
      Well you could scarify it and maybe add some General purpose fertilizer after whilst waiting for the ground to warm up sufficiently to apply a grass re-seed :blue thumb: