1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Stag Horn Tree

Discussion in 'Trees' started by Chris1953, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Chris1953

Chris1953 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi I wonder if anyone can help me. I have a Rhus Typhina tree, which was a gift given to me in the summer. Over the past couple of weeks the leaves have been dying off and now i notice that the branches are falling off and snap off even when lightly touched. Is the tree dying? Thanks for any help and advice.

2. Mike Allen

Mike Allen Total Gardener

Retired. Plant Pathologist.
    Ratings:
    +6,097
    From what you say. My first thought would be. Lack of water. Yes sad to say, your tree having got to this stage, does indicate it's on it's last legs. However having mentioned lack of water, and Rhus is a bit of an odd plant. If this has been gradual then yes, water, if on the other hand it's been sudden, then I would suspect root damage. Fungal or bacterial damage tends to take it's time to act. Over watering or lack of usually shows up in rapid changes in the foliage. For the cause to be root related, then this can be sudden. Stagshorn sumach as I say is a strange plant/tree.

3. Ned

Ned Evaporated

Prime Minister
    Ratings:
    +5,404
    It is good to have you on board @Chris1953 :sign0016:
    The Rhus that grows here - and has been doing for years, always seems to have brittle branches that fall off willy nilly when they feel like it. They throw up suckers all over the place too - it`s just the way they are. Not only that, it is autumn! Leaves are falling all over the place now - it`s what they do at this time of year. If I were you I`d just hang on and see how it behaves.. I reckon it will be okay :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
      +46,155
      Is it planted in the ground or pot?

• Like Like x 1
      • zilly

zilly Gardener

Ratings:
        +577
        They can grow quite big and are starting to lose their leaves now and the branches are quite brittle so it may be OK.

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,976
        Are we looking at the leaf stalks thinking they are branches;)
        Sorry to be so basic, but often pinnate leaves can give that appearance.

• Chris1953

Chris1953 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
        +0
        Thank you all for your welcome and replies.
        The only thing i have done to it is to put it in a large pot as i don't want it in the garden for the reasons you have stated re suckers and it getting out of hand.
        I have been looking at other Stagshorn trees when i have been out and about and their leaves are turning red, mine are turning yellow and wilting.
        I think the best thing i can do is to leave it and see what happens next year. IMG-20180927-WA0000.jpg

• pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
        Ratings:
        +85,976
        Usually in my experience, if the leaves fall naturally, the plant is still alive.
        If they shrivel and stay attached the wood is dead.