Standard Fuschias.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by rustyroots, Jul 17, 2013.

1. rustyroots

rustyroots Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +2,946
    Hi All,

I would like 2 standard Fuschias for either side of the front door and rather than buy them I thought I would try and take cuttings of what I already have if suitable. Is it too late to take cutting? I have Mrs Popple, Snowcap, Garden News and Brutus. Are any of these suitable? Also how difficult is it to grow a standard, how long does it take?

Rusty

2. Freddy

Freddy Miserable git, well known for it

Retired - yay!
    Ratings:
    +12,517
    Hiya Rusty.

I had a go at creating some standards many years ago, so I can't be sure of the method, so I stand to be corrected:) So, I chose a plant that had a 3 way leaf, as opposed to the usual 2. This helps to ensure a bushy end product with a good shape. Once the cutting had rooted, it was just a case of gradually potting on, and taking out any side-shoots. I can't remember what time of year this was, but I imagine that you would be ok now, although ideally it probably should have been done a couple of months ago. As I recall, the plant needs to be kept just ticking over during winter. Come spring next year, it should start back into normal growth, and once again you will need to keep taking out the side-shoots until it reaches roughly 1ft less than the desired height, at which point you should stop taking out the side-shoots and allow it to grow normally. Then, when it reaches the desired height, take out the leader, at which point it should start to bush up. Depending on what height you want will determine how long it will take for the finished article. Sorry, I can't help you with the timescale for any given height.
    I hope this helps:)

Cheers...Freddy