Standard Rose Trees

Discussion in 'Roses' started by Colin Davies, Apr 20, 2015.

1. Colin Davies

Colin Davies Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Just bought a couple of rose trees,I intend to plant them in large pots to put onto the patio, my question is what kind of soil/ compost do you use to put in the pots

Colin

2. wiseowl

wiseowl Amiable Admin Staff Member

Philosophy of people
    Ratings:
    +91,667
    Good morning @Colin Davies I would respectfully suggest use is a loam-based John Innes No 3 to which 10 to 20 percent multi-purpose compost or very well-rotted manure may be added for richness. Position the container before filling with compost as it may be too heavy to move once planted up.Roses love sunshine and should receive sun for at least half the day. However it is important that container-grown plants do not dry out or they will become prone to powdery mildew. If possible position the container so that it is shaded for part of the day, leaving the plant itself in full sun.Keep the pots raised on feet and add a drainage layer of gravel at the bottom to ensure good winter drainage Roses use up food reserves quickly and grow better if top-dressed each spring with a granular rose fertiliser. Avoid feeding after August as soft growth may be damaged by cold winters,Mulch with a 5cm (2in) top-dressing of well-rotted garden compost or manure to help retain moisture and enrich the compost,Every second year, remove the top 5cm (2in) of compost and replace with a fresh layer,Hope this advice is of some help to you my friend:smile:

• Like Like x 2