State Pension Changes

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by JWK, Jan 15, 2013.

1. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +49,207
    The government changes the pensions system more often than GC changes it's software. I'm trying to work out if I will be any better off. On the face of it the increased pension looks like good news, I'm very sceptical, there are bound to be losers and the changes are not due till 2017 so time for more fiddling before then.

The changes are being heralded as making it simpler, but it seems there will be a transitional period (10 years plus!) where both sets of rules will be in place and there will be all sorts of adjustments. I will probably have to spend all my pension on an accountant when I retire. I suppose it could have been worse, I'm at the right age to draw my pension at 65, they are predicting that anyone born after 1970 will have to wait till they are 76.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      From what I understand from what's been said only those from a certain date qualify so those on the existing State Pension will stay on the old rate???? Surely that's going to make a two tier system??:scratch: :dunno: :snork:

• Victoria

Victoria Lover of Exotic Flora

Lady of Leisure
      Ratings:
      +55,473
      All I can say is that I am so pleased I am getting mine now, also my American one. T'other half has a small American one but still has 1 1/2 years to go to get his British one then that is us on pensions as he has been getting a private early-retirement one since 2000.

I feel sometimes sad and other times angry for those who lose out because of the year they were born even though they have worked for umpteen years in the system, never claiming anything ... and those who have not earned a diddly-skwat can get all and sundry ... grrrrrrrrrrr ..

• Like Like x 1
      • Fat Controller

Fat Controller 'Cuddly' Scottish Admin! Staff Member

Public Transport
        At me 'puter, GCHQ Ashford Office, Middlesex
        Ratings:
        +51,947
        I reckon that it'll be a case of work til you drop by the time I get toward that age (born 1976)

• Like Like x 1
        • Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
          +0
          From what I gathered, i've now got to pay an extra 4 years of NI:doh: I was nearly there.

Are they using Joseph Heller's Catch 22 as their manefesto?

• Like Like x 2
          • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
            +19,597
            I'm afraid that with ever increasing retirement ages, I expect they'll probably bury me with a laptop and wont give me my pittance per week until 10 years after I push up my first daisy.

• Like Like x 3
            • Victoria

Lady of Leisure
              Ratings:
              +55,473
            • ARMANDII

Ratings:
              +100,838
              Well, at least you'll have your Laptop, Clueless, to while away eternity!!!:heehee:

When I started to contribute to the State Pension they told me that I was paying towards my Pension, but then it changed later to being told I was paying for those already receiving a Pension:dunno:

• Like Like x 3
              • Agree Agree x 1
              • clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
                +19,597
                I'm kind of hoping to not need a pension. I feel sorry for those a bit older than me, that were totally misled into believing they were saving for a comfortable retirement, only to be told later that they'll be living on a pittance and wont get back what they saved, all while pension trustees are lording about in big posh motors.

I was always sceptical about pensions, but then I could be because I never even thought about them until after the last recession, when the news was reporting every day about the collapse of one fund or another. The first one I heard of was the British Rail one. I remember being absolutely gobsmacked that all those people had lost their pension savings. It was an outrage. Now it seems to be the norm. I had a pension scheme at a previous company. It was paid for by the company with a tiny contribution from me. If I'd had to pay for it myself, I wouldn't have bothered. Around £400 per month went into it, over nearly 11 years = about £50k. Last pension statement I received, just after the latest financial crash, told me my pot was worth about £3k. If I'd have paid that almost £400 per month out of my own pocket and then been told that my £50k was actually £3k and falling, I'd have been pretty gutted. I have a new plan. I've bought my little piece of land, I'm in the process of buying my house, when my finances recover a bit I'll look at buying another house or piece of land or something that can't simply vanish like most of my theoretical £50k did. With a bit of planning and a lot of good luck, I might just be able to pull it off that I have assets to rent or sell to fund my later years.

• Like Like x 2
                • Agree Agree x 2
                • Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                  Ratings:
                  +7,371
                  The whole thing is a big Con Starting with the WAR babies 1945-48 many of us born then
                  They told us to pay in for OUR pension,and to top up for an even bigger pension
                  (Then as mentioned by Armandii, They told us just before WE were entitled that it was not actually OUR pension pot, the money had been used to pay the pensions of the FEW who survived the war and there was nowt left in the
                  pot)

Now it is 2007 nearly time to collect Wallop bang big crash shares desimated, even less in the pot, and for those that had saved privately it was now time to buy your Annuity
                  The annuity you are stuck with for the remainder of your life, zilch next to nothing shares worthless, ONLY you HAVE to take an annuity no option, so less paid out

Then comes the news, those who have NOT saved anything or paid in the pot, get paid exactly the same as those that did, it is called pension credits, so those that drank it all away get the same as those who saved for a rainy day

Now 2013 shares are amazingly ROSY AGAIN (no annuities to pay up now :-) for ALL those War babies
                  Now what can we fiddle next, we want the shares high so the country looks good in times of austerity,
                  That is it pay everyone the same pension saved or not, but make them all work longer before they get it, With any luck they will be dead before claiming it

Cynical ME !

Jack McH

• Like Like x 1
                  • pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
                    Ratings:
                    +92,618
                    My main concerns are they have scrapped the so called second pension, I believe that was once graduated pension and then became SERPS, so where has that gone?
                    I at least thought that bit had my name on it rather than just helping everyone else out.

The other thing is you only need 35yrs national insurance stamp to gain the full pension, I've paid nearly 43 yrs already and am expected to pay another 8yrs before I'm 66, that makes nearly 51 yrs.
                    Dont seem fair to me.

• Like Like x 1
                    • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                      +100,838
                      It's not about fairness, Pete, and like all taxes paid to the Government it's not supposed to go back to you either if they can help it:snork: So they'll whittle away the money for a normal pensioner under the flag of saving money and helping to cut down the National Debt, while ensuring that a Politicians pension will keep them in the lifestyle they have become accustomed [and in their opinion] entitled to. By the time 2017 comes around a £144 State Pension will be worth what it is now, or maybe less and Pensioners will be even worse off, while the Politicians will be telling you "But how can you be dissatisfied, we've "increased" the State Pension for you .:snork:

• Jack McHammocklashing

Jack McHammocklashing Sludgemariner

Ex Civil Serpent
                      Ratings:
                      +7,371
                      "I'm in the process of buying my house, when my finances recover a bit I'll look at buying another house or piece of land or something that can't simply vanish like most of my theoretical £50k did. With a bit of planning and a lot of good luck, I might just be able to pull it off that I have assets to rent or sell to fund my later years."

2020 Anyone owning more than a bed sitter VE VILL remove all other properties to the state, this will be sold to non savers, and their benefits increased

Jack McH

• Like Like x 2
                      • ARMANDII

Ratings:
                        +100,838
                        You are such a cynic, Jack, unlike me:heehee: :snork:

• Victoria

Lady of Leisure
                        Ratings:
                        +55,473
                        Clue, what you are planning on doing is what we planned on nearly 25 years ago. We have sold the properties in the UK (two, one in Bucks and one on the IoW) and now have five here ... all but two paid for by the one in Bucks (a detached two up two down in the country), which we sold at a profit of £60,000 in 2002 at £169,000 (prices had plummeted at the time), but we bought it for £32,500 in 1984. We kept 'borrowing' on it to purchase other properties, the one on the IoW and the others here. We have no mortgages.

Plan, plan, plan ... and keep that dream alive ...

• Like Like x 2