Stinky Compost

Discussion in 'Compost, Fertilisers & Recycling' started by Tulip, Feb 23, 2005.

1. Tulip

Tulip Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have been dutifully putting all matters green in my compost bin. It had become beautifully black and crumbly like all literature states is should be. I tipped the bin contents onto a newly made bed, but amongst the lovely compost was a sludgy mess that absolutely stinks - there is some vegetation that didnt break down and it dont 'alf pong bad! Smells like pig poo. The sludgy liquid has seeped all into the new flower bed I was planning. Will it continue to rot properly now it has air & be ok or do i need to dig it all out and start again?

[ February 23, 2005, 10:09 AM: Message edited by: Tulip ]

2. skrumpy

skrumpy Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Would it by any chance be grass cuttings that you have emptied into your compost bin? If you do add them make sure you add only small quantities at at a time and mix them in or they will just turn into a stinky mass of slimey goo. I don't think you need to dig up what you have already put on your bed just dig it in a little - after all, it is organic and will break down eventually.

3. Henrietta

Henrietta Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    All matters green also need all matters brown (well almost) to balance things out. Greens are nitrogen and browns are carbon - an alternate layer of greens and browns (which are for example: shredded newspaper/kitchen roll, wet pine pellet kitty litter, fine bark chippings/cut up woody cuttings/trimmings) keep things balanced so the result isn't a horrid sludge [​IMG]
    The heap needs to be kept warm - it will come to a halt in the winter months - and relatively dry (protected from becoming rainsoaked) however it also needs to be kept damp.

4. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +91,982
    I used to keep a special compost bin for grass cuttings, and I must admit they do turn into a smelly slimy mess if left alone, but I used to wait until it turned brown, and then it can be cut out like a cake.
    This I would spread around my marrow plants (which I would have planted out about about a month earlier), just over the area covered by the leaves, but keeping it away from the stem of the plant. Then water well in with a jet of water from a hose pipe. You must keep this moist from then on as the roots come up and feed on the muck. It dont half make em grow, works with cucumbers aswell