Stir Fry leaves

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Honey Bee, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    Ok - the kids are into stir frys & we don't like bean sprouts. Can you lot recommend some easy leaves to grow - I was thinking some cut-and-come-again types and/ or shoots?

thank you :biggrin:

2. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Nasturtium needs to be in there. Its perfect for this and many other roles. It doesn't like heat for very long, so it should go in the wok for literally the last few seconds before serving.

3. HsuH

HsuH Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,257
    Try Swiss chard, spinach and pak choi.

They are all fairly easy to grow. Possible problems: leave miner damage and pak choi may get cabbage root fly attack. (You could have perfect leaves if you put some fine netting over them.) To harvest, just pick leaves as you need.

We grow only 1 batch of chard in spring each year and it lasts till the following year when the new batch grow up.

4. Madahhlia

Madahhlia Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +3,090
    Leaf beet. Cavolo nero (Italian black kale)

5. "M"

"M" Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +31,885
    I grow sprouting seeds on my windowsil year round - perfect for stir fries, just throw in for the final minute :dbgrtmb:
    (and for salads/sandwiches/ adding to a casserole/curry for the final few minutes/munching on instead of fatty, salty snacks/adding to wraps etc., )

("bioSnacky" do a variety of mixed seed packs e.g. Detox, Gournet ... but they are a little pricey. Available at health food stores. However, you can look at their packets, see which seeds are in the mix and replicate your own mix :whistle: ) Jamie Oliver has brought out his own range (no surprise there then!) for Homebase and you can buy the sprouting tubs (stackable) and you get some radish, cress and baby spinach seed with it.

Alternatively, you can try the "homemade" sprouter method of an old jamjar, some muslin (or a j-cloth) held over the top with an elastic band. Add seeds to jar, add some water, swish round, hold jar upside down to pour off the water: repeat twice a day.

Some seeds will sprout in just 3 days, others take 5 days and yet other can take up to 10 days! So, it is worth considering your rotation to ensure a continuous crop.

6. Honey Bee

Honey Bee Gardener

Queen Bee
    Sunny South coast (well, it used to be......)
    Ratings:
    +54
    oooh - thank you for your suggestions :) they are not that keen on chard, but if I say its some thing else, whi are they to know!!!;) ;)

7. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    Go for 'Chard - Bright Lights' or 'Rainbow Chard'. Neither of which is actually chard at all, but is actually a beet. Very closely related to the common old beetroot. Then you can call it leaf beet instead of chard, and you wont even be fibbing.