STOATS

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by derwent, Nov 3, 2009.

1. derwent

derwent Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    We have quite a few stoats living around our garden haven't quite tracked down where yet, but do know they climb up into our loft at night. I don't mind - they keep the mice down, but will they do any harm other than leave their "droppings" behind. The joys of living in the country.

2. Flinty

Flinty Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    Hi Derwent

I think it's only the rodent species like rats and also squirrels that cause destruction of cables and building fabric. Stoats are hunters and they just want a cosy nest in your loft so they might "rearrange" your insulation, I guess. At least, that's my understanding but someone with specific experience might show up with a different view.

I envy you the chance to observe your stoats - I haven't seen one for many years.

3. music

music Memories Are Made Of This.

A Little Bit Of This And A Little Bit Of That.
    Ratings:
    +2,785
    i watched a programme today on "the wild chanel" it was scary.
    it filmed in "moscow" were packs of wild dogs run riot in the streets and in some suburban areas are attacking people. some of the dogs are huge. they
    run in packs,like wolfs with a leader and they have their own territory and if anyone or anything crosses their line, they attack.
    i also have just read an item on computer.in pitsea in essex vicious feral
    cats are running in packs of five!. they are jumping off walls and scratching members of the public as they pass .a disabled man with his dog was forced to fight off a gang of hissing moggies. some residents in the area say they are stopping their children playing outside in fear of attack!!
    in north america ,cayotte's are running rampage.they are getting nearer and nearer to built up areas,gardens,shops,streets.they are attacking farm animals and domestic pets and are now standing up to man!!!. the people are very fearful for there small children playing in the gardens!!! well if they can pull down a large sheep what about a small child??.
    what is going on in the world? its scary!!!!. music:scratch::(

4. clueless1

clueless1 member... yep, that's what I am:)

Ratings:
    +19,596
    For the last few thousand years, humans have been taking more and more land and resources off the other species we must share the planet with. Now perhaps they are taking some of it back.

Its not really surprising. You put many thousands of people in a small area, all leaving all sorts of rubbish about including food, thus making the towns more inviting for wildlife, then you put all manner of chemicals and machinery all over the countryside making it less hospitable for wildlife.

5. derwent

derwent Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replies and putting my mind at rest, I think I can live with these lovely creatures.
    I put an egg out on the lawn in the morning and Stoaty comes and gets it and does a lovely acrobatic display for me while deciding what to do with the egg. If he doesn't take it right away the crows or magpies will have it. Hate to think what would happen if a bird dropped the egg whilst flying .

6. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    I really envy you in seeing the stoats, they are marvellous creatures! I work sometimes on a conservation site in Yorkshire, and we have been preparing log piles of dead wood, and recently one of the mammals that has begun taking shelter there is the stoat. They will eat basically anything, especially if people leave out snacks like eggs or peanut butter, and there was a report a few years back about an area of the southeast where stoats were found living and breeding successfully, taking an entirely insectivorous diet.