stony ground

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by SimonZ, Apr 26, 2015.

1. SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
    +746
    When I can get the camera to do so I will post photos of my progress, but earlier this year I moved to somewhere with a small area I share wit neighbours, where I have planted several traditional favourites, but also an area of wilderness beside it; I began by cutting back a lot of dead wood and clearing a space of about 10x10M for initial planting. So far I have dug in 5 or 6 bags of compost and have successfully planted two azaleas, and several more plants all in early stages of growth - ornamental grass, a fuchsia, and a delphinium. However, I am wondering about how this area might be managed long term. It is extremely stony, and I have spent a lot of hours digging out rocks, bricks and slates. In some parts you can dig down maybe half a metre, in others a lot shallower. I suspect the soil is quite acidic as I live in the Calder Valley where our staple plants are heathers and gorse, and acid-loving plants do great.

Do you have any recommendations on what I've planted thus far? In particular how they might fare, and how I should attend to them throughout the year? At present all get full morning sun as there is no barrier, but I'm going to plant some bigger, bushier candidates at the forefront which may shade some, and the small azalea has a much larger azalea in front of it.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
    • ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
      +100,838
      Hi Simon, well if your soil is acidic then you've done the right thing by planting an Azalea

Cultivation[edit]
      [​IMG]
      Fifty-year-old Azalea
      Plant enthusiasts have selectively bred azaleas for hundreds of years. This human selection has produced over 10,000 different cultivars which are propagated by cuttings.[citation needed] Azalea seeds can also be collected and germinated.

Azaleas are generally slow-growing and do best in well-drained acidic soil (4.5–6.0 pH).[1] Fertilizer needs are low; some species need regularpruning.

Azaleas are native to several continents including Asia, Europe and North America. They are planted abundantly as ornamentals in the southeastern USA, southern Asia,and parts of southwest Europe.

[​IMG]
      A George Taber azalea
      According to azalea historian Fred Galle, in the United States, Azalea indica (in this case, the group of plants called Southern indicas) was first introduced to the outdoor landscape in the 1830s at the rice plantation Magnolia-on-the-Ashley in Charleston, South Carolina. Magnolia's owner John Grimke Drayton imported the plants for use in his estate garden from Philadelphia, where they were grown only in greenhouses. With encouragement from Charles Sprague Sargent from Harvard's Arnold Arboretum, Magnolia Gardens was opened to the public in 1871, following the American Civil War. Magnolia is one of the oldest public gardens in America. Since the late nineteenth century, in late March and early April, thousands visit to see the azaleas bloom in their full glory.

All you can do at this stage is to keep improving the soil with as much compost [home made and/or used commercial compost]. Is the ground fast draining or does it hold water? Many Shrubs will grow happily on stony soil but of course some don't like it too acidic. But things like Japanese Iris, Trillium, Begonia, Caladium, Dogwood, Magnolia,Heather, Japanese Pieris, Japanese Maple, Contoneaster, Holly, Bog Rosemary, Witch Hazel, Viburnum, Leucothoe, Hydrangea, will be quite happy on stony acidic ground if you ensure that you pay respect to their other needs.

• Like Like x 1
      • westwales

westwales Gardener

10 miles from the coast in the rainy west
        Ratings:
        +598
        Skimmia grows well in acidic or neutral soil and tolerates stoney ground. As they're naturally woodlan plants they will also grow well in partial shade.

• Agree Agree x 1
        • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
          +746
          Wow thanks, for the answer and the information! Hard too say if its fast draining yet, as I've only been planting there a few weeks. It is very stony so I'm assuming this slows drainage and retains water, plus the soil is quite heavy, suggesting a slower draining. However, its acidy as discussed, and although not "sandy" it does at surface level tend to be that grey, gritty sort of texture. Time will tell, I guess.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
          • SimonZ

SimonZ Gardener

Ratings:
            +746
            Thank you. Skimmia japonica does indeed thrive round here ... I'll give it a go!

• Like Like x 1
            • Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
              +53,886
              Cistus would be okay as long as it's not a windy site, there are also the larger sedums (ice plants) and Lupins will grow just about anywhere.