Stored Early Potatoes going Green

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by TAL, Aug 15, 2009.

1. TAL

TAL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This is only my 2nd year growing veg. I harvested the earlies June/July and stored those that we did not eat immedately in potatoe sacks in my garage. A fair number of those remaining re turning green - some very green. I know not to eat them, but can anyone shed anly light on what I may have done wrong.

When I lifted them I would spread them out on the grass to dry off for an hour or two before choosing those we would eat within a couple of days and stored the rest. Should I not have left them in the sun to dry??

Any insights welcome. I did the same thing with my Edwards - so am a little nervous that they will go the same way.

2. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    What a shame Tal. Potatoes exposed to light will turn green - you really need to keep them in the dark.
    I don't think early potatoes store well. I just lift them as I want to use them.
    If you want potatoes for storing for winter use you would be better growing a main crop variety.
    For summer use a mixture of 1st and 2nd earlies will give you a longer spread
    or just stagger your planting so that they are not all ready at the same time.

I don't think the way you dried them has been the problem.
    I think light has been getting at them in the garage. You could check your Edwards and make sure they are really dark.

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,926
    I've heard that green potatoes will recover if you make sure no light can get to them. It's got to be worth a try.

Like Alice says new potatoes don't store well, although we are still eating some that I dug up and stored 5 or 6 weeks ago and they have been just fine.

4. TAL

TAL Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Alice and John. I will check the garage and cover the hessian sack containing the Edwards and keep my fingers crossed. Good to know I didn't do something silly though.

Teressa