Storing a Pink Cabbage Palm (Cordyline) over the winter months

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Passport1, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    I have a plant Pink Cabbage Palm (Cordyline)

Its not planted in the ground but in a pot sitting on the patio. Its thrived well over the year

What is best way to store this over the winter. Should i put it in the garden shed or should i leave it in shaded spot in the garden

Either place i put it - should i cover it with a plastic bag to protect from frost

Thoughts?

Thanks

2. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Good evening Passport and welcome to the site.:dbgrtmb: A lot depends on which part of the country you are based. As a general rule of thumb, once the weather turns cold, wrap the plant in fleece and put in the shed.:thumbsup:

3. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,979
    The red cordylines are quite tender so follow Dai's advice. Is there any light in the shed though, I'm not sure they would enjoy being in the dark all winter?

4. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for the replies

John - There is a windows in the shed but they are high up - would it help if i put the plant on a shelf near the window

Dai - when you say wrap it in a fleece = do you mean a fleece jump like we would wear and just put the body of the fleece over the leaves so thet are all covered or is fleece something else. Would i leave it covered with this for all of the winter or just in frosty conditions

Thanks

5. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
  6. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    Yes, I would put them on the shelf and follow the advice in HarryS's link, wrap the pot in bubblewrap to stop the soil freezing.

7. whis4ey

whis4ey Head Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +803
    I have just moved two of these in pots into the greenhouse for the winter
    The greenhouse will remain unheated, but the walls are lined in bubblewrap
    If I have enough of the stuff I then cover all of the plants with another piece of the same (or fleece)
    Last year those outside perished. This year I think I will have done enough to keep them safe
    Something similar should suffice :)

8. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Hi
    Now that winter is over im thinking of moving my Pink Cabbage Palm (Cordyline) back outside.

However over the winter about 3/4 of each leaf has turned brown/black and the pinkie/red colour can only be seen in about bottom 1/4 of the plant near the base of the soil in the pot

Can i cut back the leaves to remove the black/brown parts and let it grow out again or will the colour return when i put it back out in the light or has it not survived the winter and i should just bin it

Thanks

9. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    It sounds like black mould on those leaves or have they died off? A photo might help us know. If it's mould then a good clean off with soapy water and being stood outside will help. If the leaves are dead you need to cut them back to healthy growth and hope the plant will generate more.

10. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22
    Thanks for reply
    Some pics attached
    Let me know what you think?
    Thanks

Attached Files:

11. JWK

Ratings:
    +48,979
    I'd snip off those brown leaves, it looks like frost damage rather than mould. The main part of the plant has survived so I think it will be OK. Be prepared to move it back indoors if we get another cold spell though.

12. Passport1

Passport1 Gardener

Ratings:
    +22