Storing apples?

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by oakdaledave, May 25, 2012.

1. oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
    +7
    Looks like I may get a bumper crop of both eating and cooking apples this year. What is the best way of storing them from sept/oct onwards? The only storage area I have is a brick built shed. The eating apples will get eaten anyway, my main concern is the cookers. Thanks. Dave

2. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Dave,

To store the late season apples you'll need to wrap them in paper and carefully place them in wooden trays, not touching each other. You'll need to check them regular to remove any that have gone pummy.

Don't try to store windfalls, the bruises they get when they drop will rot them very quickly. For those, cut em up & stew them & freeze the pulp.

3. Scrungee

Scrungee Well known for it

Ratings:
    +28,997
    I collect a load of cardboard fruit boxes from a supermarket together with the fruit shaped inserts and stack them up in a North facing unheated room. This year they lasted into March - this pic of the last apples was taken on 10/3/2012.

apples 10 mar 2012.jpg

I've also got a press and juice 1,000s of pounds of them. There's still some apple in the freezers.

• Like Like x 2
    • Palustris

Palustris Total Gardener

Retired
      Ratings:
      +3,074
      We do much the same, but often freeze the cookers as either purée and as Baked apples. Core and fill with dried fruit and syrup. bake till done and after cooling, freeze.

• Like Like x 2
      • oakdaledave

oakdaledave Gardener

Ratings:
        +7
        Thank you all, some good ideas there - as always. Dave