Storing Topsoil

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by ballinran, Nov 17, 2007.

1. ballinran

ballinran Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    This will probably sound like an silly question, but I'm in the process of getting a new garden office built, and they builders have removed a fair quantity of topsoil from where they put the concrete slab for the base.

See pic...with about the same amount on the other side.

[​IMG]

Now the soil is really good quality, and I have plans to use it elsewhere in the garden (probably in a raised bed (or 2) to be built either side of the office once it's complete) but it's likely to be a few weeks at least, weather permitting, probably even looking towards the new year before I get it done, so I'll need to keep the soil somewhere in the meantime.

It's not a huge amount; maybe a couple of tons, but I can't leave it where it is, as I know rain will wash it down onto the concrete slab, so I'll have to move it somewhere to store it until I'm ready to use it.

Now I have an ideal place situation to put it, in what used to be a pond, but has been filled in, and (very roughly) paved.

See pic (ignoring the junk!)

[​IMG]

So my question is, is it OK to simply dump the soil on top of the paving slabs? or do I need to remove the slabs? or put something (a tarpaulin or something) down on top of them?

Do I need to cover the soild once it's been dumped there? I don't want it to wash (or even blow!) away before I can use it!

Is it a silly question? Any advice?

2. youngdaisydee

youngdaisydee Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    hi ballinran and welcome, if it was me id put it on top of the paving slabs, the frost will do the job for you [​IMG] but i just know someone will disagree :D

3. Celia

Celia Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    I'd put a board underneath so that it's easier to move the bottom bits or you'll keep catching your shovel in the cracks between the paving. The soil drying out could be more of a problem than rain but I doubt that will happen this time of year. If you are worried about it washing away put battens around the base to hold it in

4. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    i would leave it were it is and just stick a sheet of cheap 1/2" shutering ply in front nailed to a couple of stakes. this will stop any washing down onto the slab and will save you moving it twice.

If you do decide to dump it on the patio then Id stick some polethene or a tarpaulin over the top so it doesnt get too waterloged.

5. Helofadigger

Helofadigger Gardener

Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Ballinran we had a similar problem earlier this summer the last gentleman who lived in the house before us had a pretty huge mature compost pile all piled up in a kind of coffin shape mound ..... as you can imagine he was the talk of the neighbourhood.

No body was found in the pile but wonderful compost too good to waste anyway my hubbie Bob kept back a few of those builder's bags from the drive job last year they hold about a ton and are ideal if you can get hold of one or two for garden use.

Maybe you could have a word at your local recycling centre they just might have some there for you to use. ;)
    Helen.xxx.

6. daitheplant

daitheplant Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +2,881
    Why not just cover it with something to stop it washing onto the slab?

7. strongylodon

strongylodon Old Member

Retired
    Ratings:
    +29,598
    I agree with David, if it is good topsoil it should remain in place if covered . [​IMG]

8. PeterS

PeterS Total Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +4,016
    I would minimise the work - leave it where it is.

9. ballinran

ballinran Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks folks. I moved just enough to stabilise it, so I no longer have that "precipice" overhanging the slab.

I've left it uncovered at the moment, and weather permitting i'll try to get it used asap. If it looks like being more than a few weeks, I'll cover it.

TBH I was more worried about it drying out and blowing away rather than washing away, but that does seem unlikely in our climate.

The office arrives tomorrow.

10. janlee

janlee Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I,ve had the same problem several times while building my new garden. Leave a pile for just a short time and you are weeding it forever.
    Solved my problem with half dozen cheap plastic dustbins. They have been used over and over again for topsoil, compost, grit etc... You do need a trolley to move them when full but saves an awful lot of weeding. Stack nicely when not in use.
    My friendly postman also uses them to leave my parcels in when not at home.