Storms.

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lea, Feb 25, 2011.

1. Lea

Lea Super Gardener

Ratings:
    +1,067
    How did your gardens do in the storms?
    I had to replace some fencing that got ripped out and lost a couple of trees. My greenhouse survived amazingly!
    I have had to replace rhubarb and will need some new herb pots that got broken but all in all not too bad. Looking forward to getting my veg sorted out now!

2. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    I lost part of my back fence. I've replaced panels so often we decided to have the whole lot replaced with a planked fence which is much stronger and will allow the wind through.

The rest of my garden is surrounded by hedges so that gives protection from the worst. The only plants I've lost were down to frost. :)

3. ARMANDII

ARMANDII Low Flying Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +100,838
    I got through the storms reasonably well. My fences are 4"x2" X 6' lengths of timber dropped horizontally between concrete posts and they take a lot of punishment easily. I had a neighbours plastic garden chair being blown over 3 fences and over 150' to land in my garden smashing a pane of glass of my Greenhouse door. I was lucky it wasn't more. Should have seen my neighbours face when I gave him his chair back! I've suffered, the same as you Sheal, loss of longstanding shrubs due to the harsh winter.

4. Phil A

Phil A Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Well I was in the middle of the 1987 Hurricane that flattened South East England, but that was nothing compared to the devastation on my plot the morning after the last storm...

Click Here to View

5. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    I was in that one too Ziggy. I was living in Colchester at the time. Lost a lot of trees in our road, electric was out for a week and our neighbour lost a chimney stack.

Luckily it blew down the road, so the trees came down sideways blocking drives. We heard chainsaws for days!

6. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I was only thinking to myself the other day, we have not had any stormy weather this winter.

I must have missed it.:scratch:

7. Sheal

Sheal Total Gardener

Ratings:
    +53,886
    I think you must have done Pete. Unless you found the only place in the country that didn't get any! :what::)

8. pete

pete Growing a bit of this and a bit of that....

Retired
    Ratings:
    +92,040
    I remember 87 well, I remember 90 nearly as well, and a few other smaller blows, but dont think we have had anything around here, this year, that comes close to memorable, thank god.