Strange happenings with my hose pipe

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Lyn, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Industrial carpet machinist
    Ratings:
    +77
    I have noticed everytime I turn on my hose pipe white foam comes out for about 30 seconds then it clears.
    I have never noticed this happen before.
    Will it harm my fish and plants ?
    Any idea what it is? :confused:

2. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello Lyn, my unhelpful reply is that I noticed the same thing with my hosepipe which was bought recently. If yours is also new, it may well be something that is used in the manufacturing process, my reaction was the same as yours about the wisdom of spraying an unknown substance around any kind of plant, I certainly didn't feel inclined to fill the bird bath with it. It may wash through eventually, in the meantime, I let some water flush through into a bucket before watering the plants, maybe we will get a better more well informed explanation, in the meantime, happy gardening.

3. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    How extremely interesting....never heard of it.:D

From a well informed expert.;)

Just a thought though...does the water supply do that from your tap when you turn it on??

4. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    It's not a new hose pipe, I have had it about a year.
    The outside tap is fine, it must be the hose.
    Very strange.
    At least I'm not on my own.
    I thought it was just me.:D

5. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    Well all I can suggest is...using a funnel, fill up the hosepipe with a weak to medium bleach and water mixture. Leave it for 24 hours and give it a good rinse through, see if that works.:thumb:

6. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Does the hose have one of those things on the end to alter the spray? Ifso try taking ti off and running it without as a trial. It may be a build up of lots and lots of bubbles..

7. midnightrose

midnightrose Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    How strange. Some kind of residue from the water drying out in the hose between use?

8. JWK

JWK Gardener Staff Member

Ratings:
    +48,997
    It does sound a bit odd, I wonder if your water company have started to add something new? Are you in the area that had the bad water last week? This sounds like a long shot, but I can't imagine what else it would be.

9. Pro Gard

Pro Gard Gardener

Ratings:
    +6
    I imagine that the formers used in producing the hose may be lubricated with a soap solution hence the foam.

10. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    We were not near the water problems .

The hose does have a spray on it.
    I have tried it without the spray and it did froth a bit but not half as much as with it on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As you can see after a couple of minutes it does clear.
    :confused:

11. tweaky

tweaky Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    And you mean you are drinking the water from your taps...Oh Eck, cause that looks like the kind of stuff they shove down the system after a burst or contamination to clean the pipes out!!!

Do you have a neighbour with a similar problem?

I would most definitely check with neighbours and if it does transpire that you are the only one with the problem, I would suggest replacing the tubing.

12. Tim D

Tim D Gardener

Ratings:
    +5
    From looking at the pictures, it would appear that air is getting into the pipes somewhere. Does the same happen form your mains tap indoors? We get it at home sometimes when especially when the water has been used for a while.

13. Lyn

Lyn Gardener

Ratings:
    +77
    No ,it's only when the hose is connected.:confused:

14. T Digger

T Digger Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    Lyn, I think that Tim D is possibly correct and that it is water aeration. My own hose (which does the same thing) is permanently connected and stored on a reel in full sun, before recoiling it on the reel after use I turn the tap off and then wind the hose back on so there is not much residual water left in the pipe. The heat from the sun may well help evaporate even more of the water remaining, then when it is next used, the water is filling an empty hosepipe and mixing with the air inside. As a test, I'll try leaving the hosepipe full of water after use so that when I next use it, there should little or no aeration, that's the theory anyway. It may be some time before I do this as it seems that the monsoon season is upon us but I'll post the result to let you know. T. Digger

15. The Nut

The Nut Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    It is dissolved air.
    The reason this happens is that unlike most soluble solids, gases become LESS soluble as the temperature rises. As the water is heated in the hose, the amount of air that can stay dissolved becomes less and the excess tries to come out. The water in the hose is under pressure so this excess is held in solution until you open the hose, it then instantly appears as minute gas bubbles. Much like opening a bottle of fizzy lemonade.

Ask me one on sport :) :(