Strange Virginia Creeper behaviour?

Discussion in 'General Gardening Discussion' started by Brind, Jul 19, 2013.

1. Brind

Brind Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    I have 3~4 yearold Virginia Creeper on my back wall twining around wires. It grew like crazy the minute it was planted! I had two plants initially but one died as it was misted lightly with weed killer when our neighbour was clearing their garden. Sadly I couldn't save it.

This year despite the amount of rain we've all had, I thought nothing of watering this creeper, it's been fine other years. It's planted in the ground that it is very heavy clay so it's not great regards water.

This yeah after it started sprouting leaves they started to droop like it was suffering weed killer again but this time it wasn't the case. It is actually lack of water as I've been drenching it the last few days and it's perked up.

What is odd though... despite the usual leaves drooping (now perking up), there's new leaves near the trunk of the plant that are absolutely HUGE! It's never produced leaves of this size before. They're easily 3 times larger than the leaves it used to produce and the other leaves that are on it now further from the trunk.

I cut a large amount of the plant down at the top as it was becoming overwhelming so I'm wondering if this is why it's throwing its energy into leaves now. The previous years it has thrown out new vines like crazy, yet this year there are relatively few.

Has this plant reached an adult phase or something and that's why it's changing?

I'm a total newbie with plants and gardening in the grand scheme of things.

2. Jenny namaste

Jenny namaste Total Gardener

retired- blissfully retired......
    Ratings:
    +31,808
    Hi Brind,
    it's fascinating what our plants throw at us sometimes isn't it? I think it's overwhelmed with relief and gratitude. Any chance of a photo please?
    Jenny namaste

3. HarryS

HarryS Eternally Optimistic Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +16,248
    Hello Brind - Now my VC is about 30 foot tall , and the opposite to yours . The leaves at the bottom seem to be smaller , in fact no leaves at all on the bottom 4 feet. They are one of my favourite plants so I hope yours is OK.