Strawberries & Woodlice

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by djrock, Jun 14, 2009.

1. djrock

djrock Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hello, I am having problems with woodlice eating holes in my ripe strawberries. :mad: How can I stop them?

Thankyou :gnthb:

djrock

2. NewbieGreen

NewbieGreen Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I never thought woodlice as pests. You sure they just aren't eating the pests?

3. Alice

Alice Gardener

Retired
    Ratings:
    +81
    I think you probably have slugs djrock. The slugs make the first hole then the woodlice get in and finish them off. If you deal with slugs the woodlice shouldn't be a problem.

4. djrock

djrock Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi, I was thinking it was not woodlice, since they eat rotting stuff not fresh stuff but I always caught them in the small holes (about 3mm dia). So it must be young slugs. They must be in the soil since my strawberries are in the greenhouse and get put out for the winter.

Whatâ??s the best way to get rid? Beer?

Thankyou

[FONT=&quot]djrock[/FONT]

5. johnsonp97

johnsonp97 Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0

Bread is a tried and trusted method of my Aunt. She will put out several slices of bread around her plants at night, before bed, and then first thing in the morning she goes out and all the slugs have gone onto the bread for a munch. She picks them off and into a bucket of boiling water, which I think is horrendous. However I guess if you sling them over the fence they may return. However you want to get rid of them is your choice, but the bread method is a very good way of catching them.

6. cajary

cajary Gardener

Ratings:
    +15
    Slug Pellets work quite well.