1. IMPORTANT - NEW & EXISTING MEMBERS

E-MAIL SERVER ISSUES

We are currently experiencing issues with our outgoing email server, therefore EXISTING members will not be getting any alert emails, and NEW/PROSPECTIVE members will not receive the email they need to confirm their account. This matter has been escalated, however the technician responsible is currently on annual leave.For assistance, in the first instance, please PM any/all of the admin team (if you can), alternatively please send an email to:

[email protected]

We will endeavour to help as quickly as we can.
    Dismiss Notice

Strawberries

Discussion in 'Edible Gardening' started by Ambersparkle, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Ambersparkle

Ambersparkle Apprentice Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    I have just ordered Strawberries on the net from Thompson and Morgan, the thing is, I do not have very much space, and am also a disabled Gardener, what I would like to know, is what sort of container is best to grow them in please. I will have 24 plants. thanking everyone who answers in advance. Ambersparkle.

2. Fran

Fran Gardener

Ratings:
    +3
    I did the same thing last year, so don't make the same mistake I did - I got earthenware pots with holes in the sides - in principle fine, but in practice, they had no lips, so keeping the compost and water in long enough to get the plants established was a bit tricky. But they are still there, and some are doing fine :)

And I'm doing it again this year - the joy of picking right strawberries from the plant on the way to and from work was just too good.Only this time gonna try hanging baskets and some tall rose container pots - and pot up the runners for next year. My mix of compost, vermiculite and slow release fertiliser to the rim seemed to work fine

So really any container you fancy if you can't manage hanging baskets - but you'll need a bit of height to deal with the runners. Good luck, and may we both enjoy the fruits <vbg>

3. Webmaster

Webmaster Webmaster Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Try looking at www.Bakkers.co.uk , you can get free catalogues sent through, worth a look ...... I especially liked this strawberry pot :eek:

[​IMG]

And what about this for a big strawberry

[​IMG]

My strawberries I have are in a terracotta strawberry planter ........ I will have to watch the nipper this year, as she loves strawberries, and will be picking them off !!!

Nathan.

4. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    That is a good one Nathan

Tall, well built, pleasing on the eye,

The strawberry pots ok too :D

5. Bayleaf

Bayleaf Gardener

Ratings:
    +0
    So you do like BIG ONES! LOL ;)

6. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Bearing in mind that the child eating the strawberry is a giant !!!

Nathan.

7. SteveW

SteveW Gardener

Ratings:
    +2
    No doubting it is a big strawberry...but Bakker have been good at manipulating pics for a while now (er aledgedly:)...they have always had some magnificent pics of bright blue roses in their catalogues [​IMG]

8. Webmaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Pics on behalf of 'Ladybird'

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Nathan.